• Register Today It's free!

New here, need advice

Bmf143

Reaction score
City, State
Loveland, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Hi all. New here. Former tech. Wife has 2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 4.6. 94,000 miles. Seems well cared for. I was doing engine mounts. The engine lifter for the front hook slipped and the engine dropped back into the mounts, about a 2" solid drop. After reassembly, we have a noise....upper tick cold for 5 + seconds and much louder, sound over 1500 rpms. Sound is almost a knock. On decel it idles up a bit before coming down. Could the shock of the drop cause the oil pump to blow? Phasers to blow? Advice is appreciated. Thanks much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exhaust manifold or studs broke ?

Welcome to this forum! Maybe one of the mounts broke?
Thanks for the res. The driver's mount is junk.... And not making noise. Noise does not go away when warmed up.

Exhaust manifold or studs broke ?
Thanks for your response. I checked out both manifolds and both seem quiet. The noise does not go away warm, and on decell the engine flares up 500 rpms or so, I leaning towards replacing bothTiming chains and phasers....

Since the front slipped is it possible that that a idler pulley got caught on something and bent? Try running it with the belt off to eliminate any belt or accessory noise.

Probably just a coincidence then. I once had a follower failure on one of the intake valves on the number one cylinder. I would pull the valve cover on that side first and look at the followers before I tore into the timing components. Make sure all the rollers are turning. When a follower fails at the front of the engine it is pretty much impossible to determine if it's in the head or the front timing by listening.

Probably just a coincidence then. I once had a follower failure on one of the intake valves on the number one cylinder. I would pull the valve cover on that side first and look at the followers before I tore into the timing components. Make sure all the rollers are turning. When a follower fails at the front of the engine it is pretty much impossible to determine if it's in the head or the front timing by listening.

Good morning. I will check the followers as you say. I do not have any experience with the 4.6-3 valve. I was mainly a GM tech for 30 years, so I appreciate all the input. Before I open it up, I will have all new phasers and chain, etc at the ready. I figure at 94k I may reap in the long run. I also have all 3 factory manuals. They have been invaluable. Have a great weekend.

If it's on the passenger side the valve cover is surprisingly easy to remove. You'll have to remove the coils and a few electrical hook ups and some of the bolts are not easy to get to. It looks tight but it will come out with a little finagling. I haven't had the driver side off yet.
Good luck.

I'd suspect a bad roller follower, too. Check out this video:

Back