• Register Today It's free!

What is ForScan?

unioncreek

Reaction score
City, State
southeastern WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 4x4
I've seen ForScan mentioned a couple of times. Is it for scanning codes? If so, what does it cost?

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FORScan Home
It's a free code scanning, data monitoring software designed to work over the common, cheap ELM327 obdii dongle.
It's capable of reading and controlling all of the modules found on a Ford. Very capable, free software.
It's a crying shame it only works on Fords.

Where can you get a ELM327 OBD2 dongle?

Bob
FORScan Home
It's a free code scanning, data monitoring software designed to work over the common, cheap ELM327 obdii dongle.
It's capable of reading and controlling all of the modules found on a Ford. Very capable, free software.
It's a crying shame it only works on Fords.

Will FORScan toggle off PATS?

eBay or Amazon. There's the free version of FORScan (which is pretty good for most of us) and I believe there is a better version which you have to pay for.

You can get a free trial for 2 months at a time then it's renewable for 2 months again and again

Here is some details FORScan FAQ
The extended licence only allows for pats key programming on our trucks
But everything else is in the free version
...they do this so people can't steal our trucks with a laptop...

^ No. You'd need the ECU reprogrammed.
Hi JC,
I’ve got a no crank situation which appears to be PATS related, anti-theft light on dash emitting code 15. I’ve replaced the PATS transceiver with no change. Would you know if its a matter of clearing DTCs and/or re-programming both of my keys (neither key works) using Forscan?
The trouble began when attempting to start my Explorer with a weak battery.

^ That's definitely something to try but I'm not 100% sure if that will resolve it. If you have a scan tool compatible with Forscan then Forscan can also pull the manufacturer specific codes. See attached workshop manual pages for that and other troubleshooting. However it's for a 2nd gen explorer, but much of it will be the same - just don't assume the same. I don't have this for a 2004.

Attachments

• Workshop.Manual.PATS.pdf
    941.5 KB · Views: 152

Thanks to you all for the info, just ordered one from Ebay BAFX authorized seller (affects warranty!) Expeneon.
there are a lot of videos on youtube to show how to get started. I used this one to figure out what I needed to do to get started when I had to troubleshoot my airbags.

Back