• Register Today It's free!

06 and up reliability?

BigFellor

Reaction score
City, State
****tsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
Well at 261,000 my 02's transmission finally needs a rebuild.

Thinking about just getting something a little newer but I don't care for the new explorers at all. A lot of the 06-10s I'm finding are a little high in the mileage, 130k and up. So what's the reliability like on these? Can I expect 260k out of them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they're v8's might not be a bad idea to look into one. Lota of info on here about what to look for before buying one.

I had an 06 V6 EB and it wasnt too bad until the transmission started to go at 118k miles. Wheel bearings, thermostat, the odd coolent hose here and there on top of regular maintenance.

BigFellor. I"feel your pain". Wife's '02 S/T has 237k on the dial. She bought it new and still loves it. The engine died at 134k (timing chain issue) and we spent about 5k having Ford install a Ford reman engine in. Have had a few minor issues with it over the last 17 years. Biggest issue I see in the future is getting parts. Not the usual stuff rather trim parts, interior parts, etc. The used stuff for the most part has years on them also so....

I'd tell you if you still like the S/T, if you feel its in good shape and you don't mind "fixin" the little stuff as it comes up...spend the bucks on a GOOD quality transmission and keep going. If your transmission is in good shape and you don't need the S/T for every day use perhaps having yours O/Hed is the way to go...because you know its history. Biggest problem there is finding a shop that you can trust...and does good work. Personally I won't mind spending 2-3K on a transmission if I get a top notch product. OProblem I see though is finding a top notch outfit to do the work.... Leads me to "think" I might be the fellow doing the the O/H when the time does come (I'm a aircraft Mech by trade).

Good luck... I went looking at the NEW 2019 FOrd Rangers. The idiot showing me the "new" Ranger spent more time talking up the Ford aps that do all sorts of cool stuff (sarc) than show me the truck. At $ 27 to 51K it'll be a cold day in heck before I get a new toy.

If you could find a well maintained 09 or 10 with the V8 and updated trans, that would be your best bet

I've got an '06 with 180K, V8, EB package.

Love it. Bought it in March, aside from the coil packs and a head temp sensor and a hose rupturing a few weeks ago, it's been great. Mileage sucks, but if you want mileage, you don't want a 2 ton plus V8 SUV LOL.

My last Explorer was a 98.....5.0, mileage on it is over 270K and it still runs great.
Had a 97 Mounty before that, also 5.0, well over 300 K on it. Ran when parked, but everything else had fallen to ****.

If you could find a well maintained 09 or 10 with the V8 and updated trans, that would be your best bet
Michael, I had a 97EB 5.0 until last winter. (Casualty. It only had 115k on it. Argh!) I think I had had it since 2004. I'm looking to get another Explorer and have seen a couple of recommendations for the 09-10, 5.0. (I don't think I'll find a low-mileage 2nd Gen. EB). Anyway, what's the "updated trans" that I should be looking for in the 2009-10? Is it a tranny automatically included with the class iii/iv factory tow package or something like that? Thanks, m

If I recall, the 5.0 liter went away around 2001 in the explorers. I believe that was the last vehicle it was ever used in. Since then, the optional V8 has been the overhead cam 4.6 L, And it gained a third valve per cylinder for 2006 model year,

Begining in 2006, V8 trucks got the 6R60 transmission (6 speed auto), And around 2008 or 2009 they upgraded V8 trucks to the 6R80 (heavier duty 6 speed auto) from the F150. Not just tow package trucks.

There were also other upgrades made around that time such as improved spark plug and cylinder head design. In my opinion a 2009 or 2010 V8 Eddie Bauer in good condition would be your best choice

Thanks Michael! I'm just beginning to survey the market. M

The 06 is like a whole new world compared to the '98 that I used to daily drive lol.

My next Explorer will be a '10. I only want the V8 though. Mileage be damned.

If I recall 2009 and 2010 production numbers were very low compared to prior years, so just to keep the 2009 as a possibility

Back