06 Explorer V8, What Drives the Radiator Fan? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Explorer V8, What Drives the Radiator Fan?

awake

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer EB V8
:usa::uk:Hi Guys, new to the forum, I recently bought an 06 EX Eddie Bauer V8, what drives the Fan, is it the Belt or some kind of electric coupling? As I noticed there are wires going to the Fan, but when I start the engine the fan starts turning straight away, thanks up front

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is definitely belt driven - I believe that the clutch is electronically controlled. Hence the belt and the wires.

The fan is driven directly off the water pump via the viscous coupling / clutch. The pump is driven by the belt. The clutch is electronically controlled: the warmer the engine, the more friction is applied and the fan is spinning close to the engine's rpms. If it's cold, it's only lightly engaged and it will spin slower than the motor itself.

I think I got it right ...:)

And when the air conditioning is engaged to, the fan clutch will be signaled to tighten up to Increase airflow over the condenser, even if the engine is still cold

:usa::uk:Thanks Guys, the fan works different than the one on my old 98 Grand Marquis, which was electrically driven.

So I find it interesting that you are in the UK right now driving a Ford Explorer and that you previously owned a Grand Marquis. I have been to England before (Telford specifically) - I didn't see many American cars on the road. If you don't mind, tell us more about how you came to own those vehicles and about the American car culture there.

I'll bet driving a V8 Explorer (or anything, really!) in the UK is an expensive *****!

My cousin lives over there somewhere...last time I talked to him, he said some things were about 3 to 4 times what they are here.

He owns guns there too. Not an easy task. Anyway....yeah, the prior comments about the fan and clutch are exact.

:usa::uk:Thanks for the interest Guys, there is quite a following of American cars and culture. Here in the UK in the summer months we have many American/Classic car shows and cruises, I also subscribe to "Classic American" a British magazine which is great for buying and selling American cars and parts etc. Also a few dealers who advertise new Fords, Chrysler GM etc. Plus there is always "Rock Auto" for parts in a hurry. My previous American cars were '93 GMC JIMMY S15 4x4, which was a good little truck I owned for 6 years, '98 Mercury Grand Marquis owned for 16 years, the Explorer came from Japan this year by a dealer (apparently, Japan imports a lot of US Autos). Gas prices here are currently around £6.50 a gal, (about $8.00), so I have a light right foot !! I am happy with the Explorer although still trying to stop the rainwater leaking through the plastic cowl clips at rear of hood and windscreen washer nozzles.

I've heard some people use spray silicon on the cowl seal, though I've not had a problem with mine. I'm in Missouri in the states and we've had one of the wettest summers I can remember in 50-some years...

You definitely want to keep water out of the spark plug holes....corrosion on the plugs is bad, and water around electronics is never good LOL.

You'll also like doing LED conversions....I've done my backup lights, all interior overhead lighting, mirror puddle lamps, and front markers.

for the years I worked at dearborn assembly before they shipped the mustang to flatrock assembly there were cars that were built for the japan market and those cars had folding mirrors which were the exact mirrors they stole for the 03-04 cobras world wide so it does not surprise me that your truck came from japan... in many country's they flex their wallets by owning the things we americans call bland vanilla automobiles... my questions is living in the UK how often do you see a mclaren because here in michigan i still have not seen a single one

:usa::uk:Thanks for the interest Guys, there is quite a following of American cars and culture.
Always interested in our friends across the pond and their car culture. There is an interest over here in British cars also. But that mostly involves classics - not current production cars.
I am happy with the Explorer although still trying to stop the rainwater leaking through the plastic cowl clips at rear of hood and windscreen washer nozzles.
I've always heard about it - never had it happen. Of course, my Ex spends the night in a garage. When it does rain on it, it is sitting in a level parking lot at work. I wonder if that makes a difference.

I've always heard about it - never had it happen. Of course, my Ex spends the night in a garage. When it does rain on it, it is sitting in a level parking lot at work. I wonder if that makes a difference.

My Ex- doesn't ever see a garage, and I live in a temperate rain forest with 140+ inches of rain a year on average. Its hasn't stopped in over a week currently, except for periods when the air is just so full of mist that you're living inside a cloud. And not a drop of water inside. Now my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500....that's another story....

Back