Found this Transmission guy What's that catch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Found this Transmission guy What's that catch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems about right for small shops. That's about what it would be for me in central Florida.

ask him what is included
what parts are replaced?
New torque converter?
Is the valve body updated?
New solenoids?
new front pump?
does he do any machine work if the case /valve body needs it?

With a auto trans on the table and taken apart there are two ways to put it back together....the quick cheap way with a road test and no valve body work
or
the re manufacture way where the whole trans is re manufactured from front to back and all updates are performed and installed
A "soft rebuild" with a 5r55e can be when the nightmare begins
get what you pay for
His parts cost for all parts to reman a 5r55e is anywhere from $400-600 so to think he is willing to only make $500 or so out the door with labor, new fluids and filter ....chances are he is not putting the full $600 worth of parts into that 5r55...more likely just identify its current issues, replace the soft wear items and put it back together. It is always best to ask some questions to make sure your $1200 is going in the right direction

Still that is a pretty low price. Might ask for some more "upgrades"

for all the labor that is involved and a bunch of $$$$ for new mercon V and fluid, buying a total reman is a GREAT IDEA
Now you should also get a can of Kooler Kleen to run through your cooling system BEFORE you install the new transmission, the coolers and lines should be cleaned
I noticed they actually started to stock this at Autozone and Oreillys I used to have to order it in

81duMs%2B0srL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Make sure that he puts it in writing. Read all of the fine print. Some shops quote a low price to get business then when they open it, they claim that there was more damage than they anticipated. The price suddenly doubles, and you can't do anything about it since the transmission is all over their work bench in numerous pieces.

Back