• Register Today It's free!

Is this even worth the money?

Katalyst804

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Hi all, Im new here and in need of some quality information that I cant seem to find anywhere else on the web. The dilemma Im having is with my 2003 Ford Explorer (V6 4.0L SOHC Flex Fuel) transmission. Everything was fine until my wife went to carry the kids off to school the other day and once she started up the truck she noticed the O/D light flashing on and off. She put it into reverse, backed out and once she put it in D it wouldnt move unless she pressed the gas about twice as much as normally needed and even then it just barely chugged forward. Fortunately, she just swung it back into the drive and killed it. So I scan and pull these codes:

P0743 - TCC circuit electrical - Current
P0755 - Shift Solenoid B - Current
P0760 - Shift Solenoid C - Current
P0765 - Shift Solenoid D - Pending
P0797 - Pressure Control Solenoid C Stuck On - Pending
P1747 - Pressure Control Solenoid A Short Circuit - Pending
P1789 - Pressure Control Solenoid B Short Circuit - Pending

By this point I realize I'm way over my head. So a friend of mine refers me to a reputable fella around here that only does tranny work. I meet him earlier today and he tells more than likely its really an issue with the servo pins and that the casing will need some boring and new pins. He also says that he isn't going to repair whats faulty but rebuild it so that the transmission will outlast the life of the engine. In other words, I should have no transmission issues with this vehicle after this rebuild. He tells me it will be $2000.00 - $2400.00 ballpark to do it right. This will also include a 3 yr/36k mile warranty and no reman electrical parts will be used. He told me if the Explorer had any other engine in it he would say don't bother it and get another vehicle, but being it has this 4.0L V6, he would rebuild the tranny because the engine is pretty much bulletproof as long as its regularly maintanenced. So my question is: This truck has around 130K on it now, is it worth the money to even have the transmission rebuilt? And if it is, are these particular engines as reputable for 200K+ miles as he claims? Single income family of 5 so I can't take a gamble without some real pro grade knowledge!! Thanks so much in advance for any contribution to this thread!!!!!!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4.0 SOHC isn't exactly the most bulletproof but 200,000+ miles is very doable. 2,000 seems high, the ford dealer quoted me 2,200 for a reman installed. I've decided to rebuild my old trans, not done but I'll be about $500 or so into it by the time I am

So in your experience, which tends to yeild better results as far as longevity goes? Reman or rebuilt tranny? I would assume that Ford would offer a similar warranty of 3 yrs/36K miles. Doing it myself is not an option, I am lacking the tools and skills for this one and trans issues are something I've been lucky enough to not have to deal with before now. You mentioned $2000 being a bit high for a rebuild, what should this job normally range in?

I'm not going to be much help, I'm only 20 and I do 99% of all my repairs. (like rebuilding my own trans)
Personally though, if I was in your boat I'd go to the Ford dealer and have them do a reman. If I remember right the dealer told me it had the same 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. And if there ends up being a problem during the warranty period Id' rather deal with the ford dealer than a small shop.

What I did when the trans went was putting a junk yard trans in so it's driveable till i rebuild the ll one. A buddy swapped them for $150 and the trans was $500 at the JY. I'll sell the JY trans when I'm done, which should cover most of the cost of buying it.

I had the same problem approximately 2 years ago. If you read some of these threads, Ford developed a crappy transmission (5R55W), and these transmissions should of been recalled. I did it the cheep way and bought an aftermarket servo repair kit from AJ1E Superior Solutions. This saved me three grand. Some people say this solution is only a band aid, but this band aid is still running strong at 30,000 miles. Furthermore, you might want to check your solenoid pack too. If your handy and have a full day or two to repair, this may be a fix to save you some cash. Just my two cents worth.

Good luck
bizzs

Hi all, Im new here and in need of some quality information that I cant seem to find anywhere else on the web. The dilemma Im having is with my 2003 Ford Explorer (V6 4.0L SOHC Flex Fuel) transmission. Everything was fine until my wife went to carry the kids off to school the other day and once she started up the truck she noticed the O/D light flashing on and off. She put it into reverse, backed out and once she put it in D it wouldnt move unless she pressed the gas about twice as much as normally needed and even then it just barely chugged forward. Fortunately, she just swung it back into the drive and killed it. So I scan and pull these codes:

P0743 - TCC circuit electrical - Current
P0755 - Shift Solenoid B - Current
P0760 - Shift Solenoid C - Current
P0765 - Shift Solenoid D - Pending
P0797 - Pressure Control Solenoid C Stuck On - Pending
P1747 - Pressure Control Solenoid A Short Circuit - Pending
P1789 - Pressure Control Solenoid B Short Circuit - Pending

By this point I realize I'm way over my head. So a friend of mine refers me to a reputable fella around here that only does tranny work. I meet him earlier today and he tells more than likely its really an issue with the servo pins and that the casing will need some boring and new pins. He also says that he isn't going to repair whats faulty but rebuild it so that the transmission will outlast the life of the engine. In other words, I should have no transmission issues with this vehicle after this rebuild. He tells me it will be $2000.00 - $2400.00 ballpark to do it right. This will also include a 3 yr/36k mile warranty and no reman electrical parts will be used. He told me if the Explorer had any other engine in it he would say don't bother it and get another vehicle, but being it has this 4.0L V6, he would rebuild the tranny because the engine is pretty much bulletproof as long as its regularly maintanenced. So my question is: This truck has around 130K on it now, is it worth the money to even have the transmission rebuilt? And if it is, are these particular engines as reputable for 200K+ miles as he claims? Single income family of 5 so I can't take a gamble without some real pro grade knowledge!! Thanks so much in advance for any contribution to this thread!!!!!!:D

I got the same issue when my mountaineer just hit shy of 80k. The O/D is flashing and dealer advised a transmission rebuild. The price was $4500 for a reman, so yours is cheaper. It's going to be a tough one, the v6 engine is notorious for timing chain issues before it reaches 200k (or at your current mileage) So who knows.

The issue is called "servo bore", Ford used a steel solenoid to rub against the aluminum housing. Over time the aluminum hole wears out and causes the pressure to decrease. Shops usually rebuilds them by using brass bushing or viton rings.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

With those codes it seems like the solenoid pack went out, but I have to admit I'm just guessing a little. No harm in just changing the solenoid pack since even if you do end up rebuilding the tranny completely you can use the solenoid pack over. And a solenoid pack is not hard at all to change out. Probably a $600 job at a transmission shop. (Don't need to pull the tranny).

Regarding if it's "worth it". Is the vehicle otherwise in good shape? If so then can you buy another equally good vehicle for the cost of the tranny repair? If the tranny repair is cheaper than a new vehicle then it's worth it. Any used car is always going to need periodic repairs. 100% of used cars will eventually need a transmission repair, it's just a matter of when.

So in your experience, which tends to yeild better results as far as longevity goes? Reman or rebuilt tranny? ... You mentioned $2000 being a bit high for a rebuild, what should this job normally range in?

$2000 is about right for a full, detailed rebuild like it sounds your guy is offering...especially if he is doing all of the labor of removal and installation in the vehicle. I much prefer a knowledgeable rebuild over a re-manufactured 5R55 transmission. A good rebuilder knows the things that need addressed, like sleeving the servo bores, that will make the transmission outlast the vehicle.

I agree with ponkotsu that it sounds like just the solenoid pack that needs replaced. You can get a new one (only go new on these!) for ~$300 from a Ford dealer like Tasca.

$2000 is about right for a full, detailed rebuild like it sounds your guy is offering...especially if he is doing all of the labor of removal and installation in the vehicle. I much prefer a knowledgeable rebuild over a re-manufactured 5R55 transmission. A good rebuilder knows the things that need addressed, like sleeving the servo bores, that will make the transmission outlast the vehicle.

I agree with ponkotsu that it sounds like just the solenoid pack that needs replaced. You can get a new one (only go new on these!) for ~$300 from a Ford dealer like Tasca.

Shop around and you might get lucky. I got a brand new OEM for $130 on Ebay. But absolutely only NEW. There is no such thing as a rebuilt solenoid pack. They just clean them up and test them. And the new ones have some sort of upgrade to them that fixes initial problems. (Don't know what it is though)

If you are good with car repairs you can fix this one yourself. Just need to drop the pan. I don't think there is anything in the way.

Man this is a tough call. I think I would try to get a junk yard one and go that route. That is a pretty high mileage vehicle to drop 2 grand on.....but that being said the 4.0 is pretty good engine for sure. The whole tensioner issue is there, but there are a lot of explorers that never have that problem. It is not a really pervasive problem from what I have been told and experienced.

updated tensioners & cassette guides

Your 2003 has the significantly improved tensioners and cassette guides but the rear cassette guide is still not reinforced with metal on the traction side and could possibly break at any time.
DSCN8608.jpg

Replacing the rear cassette requires either removing the engine (preferred) or the transmission and could easily cost $2,000 or more when performed by a dealer. If your vehicle is in good physical condition, you plan to keep it, and you don't work on engines or transmissions then a rebuilt transmission (or rebuilding your failed one) with an extended warranty is probably your best option.

Ok guys (and gals!), thanks so much for your contributions. I have to give credit to ponkotsu on this one. Had a buddy throw it on the lift and drop the pan. Everything seemed great, not even a sliver of metal on the magnet. Even the fluid seemed good considering mileage. So as we dug in, lo and behold we found a solenoid pack with ONE pin snapped off. How the heck that happened is beyond me. Popped a new one in, cleared the codes and shes smooth as silk. No O/D light, shifting great too. Saved me a boat load of cash. Just wanted to post the resolution in case someone else is having similar issues. Thanks again folks and nice evaluation ponkotsu!!

Ok guys (and gals!), thanks so much for your contributions. I have to give credit to ponkotsu on this one. Had a buddy throw it on the lift and drop the pan. Everything seemed great, not even a sliver of metal on the magnet. Even the fluid seemed good considering mileage. So as we dug in, lo and behold we found a solenoid pack with ONE pin snapped off. How the heck that happened is beyond me. Popped a new one in, cleared the codes and shes smooth as silk. No O/D light, shifting great too. Saved me a boat load of cash. Just wanted to post the resolution in case someone else is having similar issues. Thanks again folks and nice evaluation ponkotsu!!

That fantastic! Now your kids won't have to skip meals. Yayyy

Back