• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter, Arrrggghhhh!

maroon93limited

Reaction score
City, State
Taber, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
Ok, went to change the filter on the Explorer today, and after 45 minutes of fighting with the stupid little plastic tool for the job, I gave up an left my shop. Is there a trick to these things? I have quite a good mechanical knowledge, but I could not get those friggin lines off!:mad: I released all the pressure in the system thinking that was the problem, but to no avail. WTF! I had a lot to do on that thing today, and I was so mad I thought I was going to put my fist through a window! Better to walk away and ask for help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah the fuel lines can be tuff to remove . i've have used the plastic removel tools and thought they were crap to be honest with you .i had to go buy the metal line tool and worked much better(lets you get more leverage on the tool ) .the tuff part is getting past the internal locking spring but it's not impossible .... good luck

For some people, the metal tool works better than the plastic ones do, and for others, it's the other way around. Either tool you use, they can be a pain in the a**.
You have to push in with the tool until it bottoms out, then push it in a little more while pulling the line away from the filter. You should be able to feel the lock release when you push the tool in far enough. This is the one I used and it worked well. Got it at my local advance auto parts store (Checker/Kragar etc)
fuelpic1.jpg

you may have had the wrong size on the quick release tools. ANd i like the plastic ones the steel ones are dead to me

the type i bought were the "ampro" brand type tools .gold colored is the 3/8 size and the red one is 5/16

DSCN1244.jpg

The problem I ran into with both metal and plastic tools is getting one of the fingers from the spring retainer in the split portion of the tool. I cut a strip of a soda can to wrap around the tool to cover that split and it worked great. If not just muscle it apart and buy the replacement retainer springs. They're cheap enough.

I found today replacing mine I could not get the thing off no matter what I did or what tool I used so I gave up fighting it and cut it off then used the plastic tool to remove the left over pipe parts ( almost to easy) and then snapped in the new filter all said and done in less then 15 mins. the truck idels a bit higher now in the rpms so we will see if I get a bit better MPG as it seamed I was down on the MPG and also having to use a bit more gas peddel to get the same power. any hoot for me cutting the old one out was the easyest.

yeah the fuel ines can be a hassle if they had never been off before or the first time user...... when idid mine i had to cuss and whine for about 20 minutes till i discovered that spraying carb spray into the lip of the fitting end removed all the dirt and grime out of there allowing the tool to get under the catch and 5 min after that they poped off with hardlly any effort at all .

I always said the FORD ENGINEER who came up with that "better idea" should be shot.

Yes, it's quick to install. Thus, saving labor time at the factory. But it's a PIA for us DIY wrench twisters.

If FORD goes bust......I can't say that I'll shed a tear for that engineer.

Aloha, Mark

i used the plastic one on mine. make sure the one you use is not too big. it's inner diameter should be the same or smaller than the tube you are wraping it around. i found that you push the tool in towards the filter as far as it will go then push the line into the filter. it will move a tiny wee bit. perhaps only a milimeter. then i used an open end wrench over the top of the plastic releaser and pushed it in towards the filter again. then i pulled on the line and it came apart with ease. it seems that by pushing the line and filter together the spring inside is spread apart over top of the release tool and then will slip over top of the ridge on the filter tubing. pushing hard on the release tool first just seems to cause it to jamb in there. it is difficult to find the medium between being gentle and brut force.
i had the same connections on the fuel pump fittings. it is not as easy as the horse shoe type clips i have on my bronco ll though.
be patient and don't try and invent too many new cuss words. (been there done that)

garbage

I had the same issue with my mom's explorer. I went through three different tools and 3 hours later...still stuck. I gave up and took it to the dealer. They finally got it off, and twenty miles down the road there was a strong fuel smell. I guess they screwed up the connection when they pryed it off because there is a steady stream of fuel coming out of the connection at the filter. Is there a special o-ring or seal? I am about to go take a look at it, but any advice would be helpful so I am not driving all over. How difficult is it to just replace the whole line at the front side of the filter? I noticed it goes from braided to solid, then back to braided...would it affect anything if I just replaced the whole thing with braided line?

I found by spraying penetrating oil in and letting it soak for a while, then giving it the twist test by rotating the filter carefully to make sure it is free to rotate tells me it's free enough to remove, then spray more penetrating oil in there to remove the dirt give me a better chance to remove it.

I had the same issue with my mom's explorer. I went through three different tools and 3 hours later...still stuck. I gave up and took it to the dealer. They finally got it off, and twenty miles down the road there was a strong fuel smell. I guess they screwed up the connection when they pryed it off because there is a steady stream of fuel coming out of the connection at the filter. Is there a special o-ring or seal? I am about to go take a look at it, but any advice would be helpful so I am not driving all over. How difficult is it to just replace the whole line at the front side of the filter? I noticed it goes from braided to solid, then back to braided...would it affect anything if I just replaced the whole thing with braided line?

there is at least 1 "O" ring inside the fitting behind the spring. if that is damaged or missing you need to replace it or the line. keep in mind that anything you put in there must be capable of handling gas at high pressures (65 psi.??). some "0" rings might not withstand gasoline and will disolve. i used anti seize to help it slide together and have noticed after 2 years when i put a new filter in that there are still traces of anti seize on the filter line when removed. (copper-coat)
perhaps the easier way is to replace the line with either used or new.
the thought of fire terrifies me. be careful.

keep smilin.............t

I done away with it on mine,,,,, I traced the line down passed the braided part to metal...I hooked back up with compression fittings and more metal line..I now go to Case International for my filter replacements because i piped it to fit that kind,,, Who ever the dumb A$$ is that came up with "quick connect" should be shot.......

was worried about hurting the lines that is why I cut the filter off instead of fighting it more and taking the chance of damaging one of the lines after reading here about them. I could turn the filter so I knew it was not stuck it just would not relise at all but when cut free it then relised very easy. now if it was leaking on me I would one not drive the truck nor let any one other drive it or start it at all tell I changed the line out and fixed the leak being there is some hot parts in the area plus some electrical wiring that could start a fire and that would just not be a good thing as every car fire I have ever seen and that is to many they have never been a good thing and almost all were burned to the ground before help got there and that was the end of the car or truck! Even say one were the grease from a drive line caught fire from a cat and burned to the ground and nothing the drive or I did stopped it even with two fire cans used on it . so stop driveling it and get it fixed as unless it is a mother in-law you do not like no one is worth letting them drive it ( joking about the MIL even there not worth it because my luck I would go to jail because I knew it leaked)

i'll try and make a quick video of how to unhook these connectors as soon as the weather gets better. once you see how it is done you'll find it easy.

i'll try and make a quick video of how to unhook these connectors as soon as the weather gets better. once you see how it is done you'll find it easy.

Ya know I do wish I could do that my self but have no way to do it. I have removed many fittings like this but for some reason this one would not come lose I had never changed it as long as I have had the truck and that has been for over 130,000 miles or over 10 years so I just figured it was the stock one . Well it had been as it was a Napa filter. But I changed it any way as there cheap and why not after another 130,000 plus miles. any way it would not come lose no matter what that is why I cut it off and then I could remove the ends left in the lines so so easy with the tool I could not believe it but as has been said before a few times and I will say it again you had better relive the pressure or you will take a shower in gas! even if you do there is still going to be a bunch of gas that will spill so my best friend is the paper towels away shop towels just for things like this so have them near by as you will need them and please do not smoke doing this or let any one around you or you may have a hot time changing the filter and remember it for a very long time in way you do not want to!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.... ten year old thread....

Back