Idle Air valve - different connections 4.0ohv | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Idle Air valve - different connections 4.0ohv

EB4X

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orange county, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer 4X 4.0 ohv
Hey gang,
Long story short... my new replacement IAC female connection is smaller then stock(although part numbers specs are spot on...but...) ...so I think this is another case of my 95 second gen being part 1st gen .... noticed my old 94 Ranger IAC in garage has same large correct size as my 95 stock...and other local parts store showed BOTH ones (incorrect small one and correct ones both being FOR my 95!) ...of course one with correct size connector is 3 times more!...$60 more! ...so to use the inexpensive one I have in possession I'm thinking of going to J.Y. and cutting off SMALL SIZE connector (they don't charge for these-free) and splicing it in...
EDIT: .As implied apparently my donors MUST ONLY be 96 and NEWER Explorers/Rangers....correct??...assuming 96 onward were ALL SMALL size connector...yes?
**I don't know if any of you with a 96 onward 4.0 OHV want to slide off connector on yours and report back which one it is....just bring flathead to slightly bend tab while pulling back/sliding connector -- easy access to IAC -- on upper / drivers side of top intake manifold.
IDLE AIR PIC.jpg

The one on my 97 Explorer has the smaller connector.If you look on rockauto's site the 94's sold the bigger connector, in 95 they sold both, and in 96 went to the smaller connnector. Don't know if there's a difference on how they preform. They sell both connectors at rockauto.

Personally I think i'd keep the original style, just because it may change your idle.IDK Let us know how it works.

The one on my 97 Explorer has the smaller connector. in 95 they sold both, and in 96 went to the smaller connnector. Don't know if there's a difference on how they preform. They sell both connectors at rockauto.
Personally I think i'd keep the original style, just because it may change your idle.IDK Let us know how it works.
Thanks and yeah I was thinking the same thing....but since this 'small' connection one (part #) states it's FOR my 95 as well-without exceptions and at multiple websites I might go with splicing small connector...coincidentally I did get it from Rock Auto and when they have people back in tomorrow I'm going to call and see if they can replace this one with Large style connector for SAME price.....doubt they'll go for it though...hence the splice option...of course if their Large is reasonable I'll pay the difference...not $60 more though.. :) ..we'll see.

Wasn't aware of the two at initial purchase - of course - and listing/ pricing options was solely based on quality options (no stamping on my oem) and figured pics were just generic like many sites-- but now that you mentioned / pointed this out I see the larger connector is $20 more...so I get punished for Ford putting in 94 parts in mine....

Back