Seat swap with airbag delete | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat swap with airbag delete

Tired to fake is with a short piece of wire. Set the light off instantly. For now I made brackets to hold them under the rear bench and tucked the wires under the carpet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you found a solution?
Resistance measurement cannot be super accurate, because resistance values vary with temperature. Also, wire length don’t make a difference, because a very small current is used to measure.

I suspect the Airbag codes will point to another issue.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but perhaps you will find it helpful...

Our 2000 Mounty does not have the SRS side airbags (none of our many Explorers/Mountaineers have had them). Our Mounty's air bag light was always coming on because the resistor caps under the front seats would not make good contact. Wiggling the caps would get the air bag light to turn off for a while, but it always came back on after a few days. BTW - installing the resistor caps and getting them recognized requires you turn the ignition key OFF to reset the airbag light after messing with the resistors.

Some one here suggested spraying WD40 on the end of the wiring and on the resistor cap's contacts. I did this thinking it wouldn't help, but it's been probably 5-6 months since I did this and the air bag light has never returned.

As far as disconnecting the SRS bags, I don't see why getting some resistor caps from the JY and installing them wouldn't work. You should just need the resistor caps as they plug onto the SRS's wiring in place of the side air bags. You shouldn't need to do any wiring mods as long as the resistors are making good contact, but if you do make mods solder the connections instead of using crimp connectors as the crimp connectors may effect the resistance.

I'm surprised that your wife prefers the Limited seats. Most people hate them because they provide little side support, but the earlier Limited seats were a different design from the 2000-2001 seats. I have a set of what I believe are '97 Limited seats in my 1954 F100 and I like those. They're the ones with the inflatable lumber supports.

I wonder if the '97 seats used a different resistor than the later models?

That yellow cap doesn’t need to be attached to the seat (and moving around, being kicked). You can hide the wire and connectors under the carpet

That yellow cap doesn’t need to be attached to the seat (and moving around, being kicked). You can hide the wire and connectors under the carpet

Yes you can hide it under the carpet, but there is a clip to attach it to the seat frame, which keeps out of the way pretty well.

Yes you can hide it under the carpet, but there is a clip to attach it to the seat frame, which keeps out of the way pretty well.

I think the yellow plug is attached to the seat, not the rails, so it does slide when we move the seat. Maybe this movement causes problem?

I think the yellow plug is attached to the seat, not the rails, so it does slide when we move the seat. Maybe this movement causes problem?

The resistor cap part is attached to a small metal plate which IIRC is screwed to the bottom of the seat frame, but the wires comes out from a slit in the carpet and has a plastic clip that snaps onto the rear seat frame cross rail. I thought seat movement and possible kicking of the wire is what caused a bad connection, but WD40 fixed my connection problem. Electrical connect cleaner might also have worked.

The side air bags began in 1999. So I'm wondering if a 1998 SRS module could eliminate the error code, by wiring it in properly. My 99 I don't need the side air bags, plus I have my old 93 seats in it(which fit way better than the flat 99-01 seats).

Back