• Register Today It's free!

K&N VS KKM

schmooz1

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
I've decided on the first mod for my truck an high preformance intake! I know alot of people have the KKM true rev kit which looks like a great deal (only $89)But some on this forum have said bad things about the KKM kit and recomend the K&N FIPK Generation II Performance Kit ($269 ouch). As I have Said before I'm new to this so could you tell me the positive and negative of both kits or recomend any other intakesthat get the job done but don't drain the back.

Thanks again for you time.
Matt

P.S.
I'll be in denver in less then two weeks were the air is thin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably alot of guys will not agree with me here, but you truly do get what you pay for.

Um,
Just from observation, the filter material looks the exact same between the KKM true rev($90) and the K&N FIPK ($150 I believe). I have heard only good things about the KKM, so why spend the extra cash?

I think K&N is only good for brand recognition. That is why they want $150 for a cone filter and a bracket. I mean, geez, it can't cost them more than $15 to produce.

Robb

It has more to do than with brand recognition. With the K&N you are paying for the CARB certificate that K&N went through to make it lega in all 50 states. It is probably of no higher quality than the KKM and probably performs no better either. They did spend hundreds of thousands of $ to send it off to the EPA to get it certified. That costs $ which must be passed on to the consumer. We do the same thing with our equipment that must meet CE approval for when we send overseas. If you don't have emissions checks then the KKM would be the more logical choice.

Yes, it has to do with EPA/CARB cert. Though with the KN II you also get a heatshield and new air tube. The tube isn't a big deal, but the heatshield does help. You can make your own for about $10 though, so IMO the KKM is better.

Alec, can you tell us or do you have pictures of what you used for a heat sheild?

It all depends on what Colorado does about inspections. if you have an annual inspection, you may want to get the K&N becasue it's CARB certified, and thus less hassle. If CO doesn't have inspections, or they just don't care, then get the KKM.

Also, you can get your KKM and put a KN sticker under the hood. Many members have done this in locations with inspections without a problem.

My heatshield is just a piece of aluminum that's fastened in various manners. I've explained it many times before.

Back