• Register Today It's free!

K&N InjectionKit Vs. KKM TrueRev

felsmann

Reaction score
City, State
HB, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Sport
OK, so I have saved up some $$ and want to get a flowmaster catback and modify my air intake. I know Rick has written about the KKM TrueRev in comparison with the K&N drop in, which is what I have right now.

K&N has come out with the Injection Kit wich I believe is similar to KKM's. They call it Series II or something. KKM run at about $100 and the K&N at $150.

I know plenty of you have used the KKM and for the most very satisfied (although I've seen some posts of people taking them out due to some sort od damage), but I have not read anything on the injection kit from K&N.

Please advise.

Thanks.

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD
Warrior Twist

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The drop in filter from K&N is just a replacement filter. It is exactly the same as the stock filter except that it is re-usable. The KKM and K&N FilterCharger are complete replacement kits. They remove the stock air box and put in an open element air filter. They are both pretty much the same thing. I had never heard of KKM until I found this site. I already had the K&N filter charger and have used similar kits in other cars. They are well known and I am extremely pleased w/ the results. I really can't speak for KKM, but figure their results are probably similar. 150 seems high for the K&N kit. I got mine 3 years ago for a bit over $100. They do have some new kits out (like the one you mentioned, maybe?) so I may be off w/ the prices. Personally, I'd go w/ the K&N kit.

------------------
John '95 XLT

jwreez,
Thanks for the reply. I currently do have the drop in one. The kit from K&N is sort of a new one since it is legal in CA. The older one was not.

I'll keep looking for better prices.

Thanks for the input.

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD
Warrior Twist

I have the KKM air induction kit installed and am quite happy with the results but I do have a question:

It seems that from ~2000-2500RPMs when
stepping down on the gas, I'll get a lil
whistle from under the hood, whether it's
at 45mph or 70mph. It's just when I'm in
that range and pressing down/in the first inch or so on the accelerator. Otherwise,
it is quiet under there.
Any clues what's making the noise? I've recently oiled the filter and ensured the seal was tight, so that shouldn't be the problem.
Thanks in advance.

Subum,

you know what? I get the same exact noise and I don'nt even have the kit yet. I started noticing that since ford went in and serviced by throtle body. I really don't know what it is, but maybe someone here will.

Later

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD
Warrior Twist

[This message has been edited by felsmann (edited 01-10-2000).]

For the record, and future interested readers, I cross-posted in "Under the Hood" (perhaps a better spot) and we got responses there, so we can close this thread here. Dead Link Removed

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by felsmann:
Subum,

you know what? I get the same exact noise and I don'nt even have the kit yet. I started noticing that since ford went in and serviced by throtle body. I really don't know what it is, but maybe someone here will.

Later

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had this same whistle sound on my 92 Navajo after doing the same maintenance and after some looking around I found a vacuum line that was not connected. It connects to a port on the bottom of the throttle body. After re-connecting this line the whistle went away.
Hope this helps!
FM

FMNAvajo,
Thanks for the info, but I was not able to find this hose. Can you tell me with more detail?

Thanks

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD
Warrior Twist

I would go with the K&N kit. I've had it installed on my 96 sport over a year. What I like: the engine roar when you really stomp on the gas and stay on it. Also, high speed passing(acceleration) on the highway is greatly improved. I clean mine when I get my oil changed. When you clean it is when you see all the dust and crap that you drive through, especially in the winter time in Colorado.

Just my opinion...

Rob

I was just wondering how much the kit was for the 96 sport, and also what came with the kit (or what parts did it replace)? Thanks if you answer.

The Kit is about $150 It replaces the filter jousing. Pretty much everything from the MAS out. The MAS is exposed and attached to the K&N Filter provided.

More info: Dead Link Removed

It works great! Sounds great too.

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD
Warrior Twist

Where can i buy/order this K&N Series II Injection Kit? Will any old auto star have it???
Thanks

I am also going 2 start a new thread about this.

[This message has been edited by Freshpowder (edited 01-25-2000).]

I think I'll check out K&N and the KKM. For now I took out the half of the airbox that holds the filter, and made a spacer and reattached my drop-in K&N filter with the stock clamp. It works well and I didn't have to spend any money.

Buy it here
Dead Link Removed

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD
Warrior Twist

I know you have gotten a lot of input already about the K&N generation II kits i'll tell you my personal view on it. I have on on my 97 explorer 4.0 v6 SOHC and I love it. It improved the horsepower on my truck ,which had no mods done to it before i installed this. It also improved the gas milage slightly. I think my favorite thing is the noise it makes. My truck screams when i accelerate which I think is very cool. A side note about it when my boyfriend who owns a 91 sport went looking for a K&N kit he couldn't find one. So if you have an older explorer i don't think they make kits for them. What we ended up doing was buying a kit for my car and then adapting it to his truck. It worked after a little manovering of his fuse box. well i just thought i'd add in my 2 cents.

Kristen

Back