• Register Today It's free!

mountaineer vs. explorer

oldskool95max

Reaction score
City, State
islip, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
199 xlt
Now can someone explain to me the main differences between the 95-99 mountaineers vs. explorers. As far as looks, qaulity, engine, reliablity, price etc. Spanks:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the moutaineer is pretty much a re-badged explorer that costs more.

Hey black magic, SWEET ride. Too bad im a poor college student and im looking for a good price on a 99'. What are your opinions no the 98' and 99'. I'm leaning toward a 99 because of the side airbags.

How did you lower your vehicle, or did you have someone do it. What parts do you need, how does it affect the safety of the vehicle as far as ride ability and rollover effect. How much do you think it will cost for parts and service. I'm on Long Island, New York.

Thanks guys :) :D

To lower your X, you only need lowering blocks in the rear ( $20-$30) and back off the torsion bar adjuster bolts for the front (free). Then all you need is an alignment Use the search function and you'll find plenty of info on that. As for ride quality, If you get a decent set of aftermarket shocks designed for a lowered X, it'll be as good or better than stock. The rollover effect won't be a problem. Actually, the X will be more stable.

well for one there are no pre-97 mountaineers, and there are no pre-96 v8s-- just two things to keep in mind.

also, the body style change (rounded rear hatch different tail lights occured for both vehicles in 98)

other than the badging on the vehicles the mountaineers are very comparable to the explorers. it is possible to have a mountie with no sun roof, cloth seats, and a V6 with an open diff. while it is also possible to have a v8 powered, leather, moonroofed, explorer even in the xlt range.

the one big difference is in the grille and headlights. the mountie has slightly "better" headlight lenses and a different layout up there.

another small difference is that the mounties have a lot of ugly cladding on them if you get them in the wrong color. the better colors have the cladding but it looks nice.

also, look out for the early ones because they can have the 160 hp V6 rather than the newer 20X hp 6.

if i were you i would try to find a 98 explorer or mountaineer that had the options you like and a cheap price. personally i'd want 20.000 to 50,000 miles and a price tag of under 20,000 (asking price) and then work from there.

Originally posted by oldskool95max
Hey black magic, SWEET ride. Too bad im a poor college student and im looking for a good price on a 99'. What are your opinions no the 98' and 99'. I'm leaning toward a 99 because of the side airbags.

How did you lower your vehicle, or did you have someone do it. What parts do you need, how does it affect the safety of the vehicle as far as ride ability and rollover effect. How much do you think it will cost for parts and service. I'm on Long Island, New York.

Thanks guys :) :D

Thanks! Then how to lower is here: No here!

I think the biggest difference is no low-range transfer case in the Mountaineer.

Back