2nd gen vs 3rd gen (97 vs 98)

gnetcanada

Reaction score
City, State
Guelph, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
BMW M3 Coupe
Hi Guys.

I had a 92 explorer once, fairly reliable truck.

Im looking for a new truck, a 95-98 ford explorer 4 door.

My question is as follows, can someone point me to a list, or provide a list of the differences between the 1995-1997 vs the 1998 ford explorers. I understand 98 was the first year for the 3rd generation. From pictures, i have noticed the 98's have a nicer guage cluster and appear to have a more rounded rear end.... what are the other differences. IS the 98 better to get then the 97?

Any input would be appreciated.

shawn

To be honest, the differences between a '97 and a '98 (outside of the rear hatch) are very minimal. There were, of course, many changes between years, but 95% of them are VERY small.

FXN is the only place that I have seen that refers to '98s as the beginning of "3rd Gens." Around here, 3rd Gens didn't start until '02 4-doors. This is for good reason. No MAJOR changes happened until '02.

I think everyone confuses the tail of the explorer being changed in 98 as being the 3rd gen. Not positive, but I am pretty sure the significant changes were in 2002 as well. I consider 95-2000 and the odd 2001 second gen. (Seems they made 2 different types, the 4dr externally was almost unchanged, yet the sport was completely remodeled.)

In 1998 they dropped the stupid external amp for the stereo. If you want to add an aftermarket radio it is much easier. The rear windsheild washer pump is eliminated, and uses the front pump and tank. I like the way the hatch opens on the 1998+ over the 91-97. It's way easier, and you can do it with one hand. I think the keypads are standard on 98+. The same with the keyless entry/alarm which will save you a few bucks on your insurance. The price difference is so small between 96 abd 98 so I'd look for a 98. Explorers are everywhere and if you look for a while you will find what you are looking for.

Back