H.I.D. Kits are now ILLEGAL and BANNED in the United States. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

H.I.D. Kits are now ILLEGAL and BANNED in the United States.

All the people who have aftermarket H.I.D headlights are soon to be without a dealer for replacement bulbs and H.I.D. kit's. As of 8/15/2003 the National Highway Safety and Transportation Board has Passed into ordinance the law banning the sale of aftermarket H.I.D.'s.

You see them, the Riced out honda's running around blinding people all the time. H.I.D. aftermarket sales are at a peak as the "under the table" bill was passed with little to no coverage to avoid resistance by the more than 6 million aftermarket H.I.D. users on the road today.

All the fast and furious wannabee's will be stripped of their bright headlamps as they will no longer be able to purchase the H.I.D.'S due to a country wide ban.

Visit this forum on H.I.D.'s for more info.
http://hidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=596

Also of increasing interest, the "CLEAR" lenses used on rice rockets nationwide are all illegal due to lack of compliance with saftey transportation guidelines.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/announce/press/pressdisplay.cfm?year=2003&filename=pr21-03.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awww crap! I just spent $415 on a Bi-Xenon HID kit for my 01 X Sport!! well, maybe I'll be able to sell the kit in a year for like $9,000!! hahaha - I think I will really like them anyway - and I plan on aiming them correctly too.

Also, my kit is designed where the filiment location is the same as stock so it should cut down on crazy blinding glare...we'll see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got off phone with NHTSA

I just got off the phone with the NHTSA about the potential ban on the aftermarket HID kits. He basically told me that they are going to essentially ban the sales of HID kits that aren't of a certain design or something like that. He actually told me they weren't as concerned with the light pattern problem, but with the vehicle's electrical system and the effect it would have on it!!! Here is a link that he pointed me to concerning someone trying to get DOT approval for their HID kit. Its pretty interesting.

Oh yeah, I asked him about the 8/15/2003 date on that ban...he told me that this date really didn't have any meaning and that he wasn't exactly sure when the official ban date would be.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/interps/files/deetz.ztv.html

Well, I have had an illegal HID kit for over 2+ years. I do have it aimed properly and have never had any problems with anyone flashing me or any problems with the police. So I am not worried about it. As far as becoming illegal, they have always been illegal as far as I know. FOR SHOW OR OFFROAD USE ONLY! Right on the box. So I am not worried about it.

Yeah, I don't think it is going to stop me from getting a kit. I just thought I would share the info.

ha

Ha I'm gonna get some just to dispite the Gov. :p what is a good brand and website for em boys :D

I got mine from www.hidkits.com - It's a really nice kit. It looks like it is all very good quality parts and it works awesome so far.

ya know that really sucks cos I had plans to convert my c10 project using sylvanias 7" round xenarc conversion.. oh well.. guess now it will be a day only vehicle, you know how sealed beam late 60s headlights look...

these lights have always been illegal, as stated, they always say for show use only... however this may provide a backbone to enforce the ban.... meaning they can seize them at customs

Even with halogen lights blinds people too. The best thing to do is to have the headlamps correctly aimed, no matter what kind of lighting system you have. That is too bad that we cannot buy HID kit anymore for those who wants to see the road better.

How are they supposed to go about enforcing this law? How will they know if they aren't OEM? Will they have a list of vehicles on hand that come stock with HID's?

I'm sure they can tell

what bothers me most tho is what98ebv8 said, what about those of us who want to see the road better? ifyou've ever driven a car with HIDs you know theres nothing like it.. the govt is kind of being like RIAA on this.. instead of getting with the program.... they're outlawing the program.. HID should be the future of all automotive lighting.. HID LED and other nifty abreviated technologies :)

you do realize that these have been illegal for a long time - unless they came in your car they are illegal - none of the aftermarket lights like that are DOT approved for road usage ... keep up on the news - APC, one of the largest aftermartket product distributers, has been in a long time lawsuit for their HID products.

SYLVANIA'S HID aftermarket products illuminate the night better than anything on the road. But what sets our brilliant innovations apart is that every product we offer is 100% street legal. All Xenarc products have been designed and tested to conform to applicable legal standards.

Headlight Upgrade Systems comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108 and Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Specification J2009 for Discharge Forward Lighting Systems.

Auxiliary Low Beam Kits comply with SAE J582 for Auxiliary Low Beam Lights. Many states regulate the use of auxiliary vehicle lighting.

you sure about that?

i think their kit is legal because of their lens and beam patterns. they aim it at a certain area rather than our lenses which will just scatter the light everywhere.

Im wondering about the clear corner lenses... i have them on my 99 ranger, but they came stock, they have the amber bulbs and work fine. I don't think clear corners are illegal if you have the amber bulb in it. otherwise i dont think Ford would have put them on all of their trucks for a year.

Originally posted by X-factor
i'm with Muskrat. Those things blind you coming from the opposite side of the road. Specially the Mercedes and BMW's.

They're not aftermarket in the Mercede and Beamers...THEY will still be blinding you.

This country is going to hell in a hand basket with all the bullsh!t laws they're passing to appease the vocal FEW!

They can kiss my azz- I'll go out REAL quick and buy A spare set.

Then again you can always have them shipped in from out of country. So screw'em!

the thing that pisses me off, is that the data people are using to "prove HID" are dangerous, also included blue tinted halogens.... basically the shorter wavelenth of blue/purple light is what causes driver blindness. these colors refract more light further and end up irritating drivers eyes. this is why police (blue) strobes are more visible then fire (red).

they ban ANY color HID (including white) but not the blue ricer halogens? what gives?

i been running 7k HIDs for over a year and love them. my dim factory lights just don't compair to the never oncoming traffic. I may pick up another set just to be safe.

Back