GT350/'03 Cobra half-breed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GT350/'03 Cobra half-breed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

350-H gold lettering

they build a limited number of them to be rented by hertz in the bigger cities. It was a promotional ploy that i guess was pretty successful and they built quite a few cars (i want to say just under 1,000) anyways, there are enough of them around these days that are still in great shape that they aren't a great collectors item, but they are pretty rare/interesting non the less. this one is sort of sad, and i just don't see a resto rod needing that graphic

Originally posted by expo5.0
i don't like it- if i were gonna do a hot rod i'd do a cooler hot rod and i sure wouldn't have left the 350-h (hertz fricking rental car company) graphic on it.

if i were gonna build that car i would most certainly do a restoration (but somehow i doubt i'd ever actually do that)

why not just buy a regular 67 and make a way better hot rod out of it? besides, even up here in minnesota the show grounds are littered with "resto rods" with better mods and better performance than that one. yeah 500 hp is a ton, but its nothing when compared to 700 or 800 which is fairly common in that type of build up. I'll take back about half of those complaints if its a true DD (or at least a once a week dd) but i bet its not.

Um why not just go with some cobra rims on yer truck, some silverstars, drop it a bit, and throw an EE air dam as is ib yer truck? Why do the same as everyone else? This person went a different route, running a new mod motor in an old car... Of all the car shows I've been to, and cars I've seen, most cars doing 700-800 hp are big block carbed motors. Sure lots of fun, but everyone is doin that. Whoa, look the guys being different. I could count on my hands how many old school cars I've seen running new FI systems (not stand alone systems like holley and others that make em) ****, if people are building 700-800hp why not get crafty, and build a s/c'd or turbo big block cranking out 1000+ hp? Could he have built more for the money he spent? Yes. Whats the big deal w/ this 350 H besides possibly it being rarer than a regular 350? I'm sure I could find some reason to ***** about this car if i went with yer logic here.... Wait no... It's a sharp car, and well, alot nicer than all our trucks here, and alot nicer than alot of "show" cars....

LOL, a friend sent me this the other day and I was going to send it to you James. I love it. Back in April we almost bought a 66' replica GT350-H from an owner of one of the gas stations here, it was a k-code with a few goodies and had been restored. It was beautiful, painted British Racing Green with the normal Gold insignia and stipes, exact interior including rear seat delete.

For anybody that doesn't know, putting a dohc 4.6 into an early Stang like this which I think is a 66', let alone the heavy iron block 03/04 engine, is a major pain in the a$$, both literally and $$ wise. 1st thing, early Stangs are light, even with only 500 rwhp that car will flat out haul ass, my friend just ordered his Kenne Bell supercharger for his 03' Cobra which is already just under 500 rwhp on the stock eaton, if they were to swap the Kenne Bell charger into this GT350-H it would be insanely wicked and mean, drag radials would be 100% required lol.

The guys that performed this swap deserve a lot of credit b/c it is far from easy and they manged to do probably the cleanest 4.6 dohc swap I've ever seen. Curious about the headers though, usually people have a custom set made to avoid clearance issues, I didn't think a set mid-length Bassani headers would work.

Two weeks ago, we almost bought a 65' convertable Mustang that's also a K-Code from one of the exotic dealers down the street that is now getting into the muscle car area (had a Chevelle SS also there). Fully restored, gorgeous dark, deep Blue with a slight dark purple tint to it, white leather interior etc. It was also a K-Code, had 65,000 miles on it and they wanted 25K for it. We decided to hold off b/c we can probably find one in the same condition but with less miles and for less money. I don't really care about the code, be it a', c' or k' etc, since I would be changing a few things anyway, just a nice street setup such as a n/a 347 which would be plenty fast and powerful in these light cars.

It was pretty funny though, when my mom and I went in and the sales guy got the keys and came out. We started it up, and some people from across the street and people that were just walking along the sidewalk heard it and came over to check it out. Everyone was checking this Stang out and didn't even care to notice the 996tt and SRT-10 in front of it. Even after the Stang was shut off, we got the keys to the SRT scince were looking at an 02' GTS just to compare, we started her up and only one guy came over to look at the Vipers engine, lol, everyone else was checking out the Stang still:D

I'd much rather have a reliable modern 500 hp motor than a finicky carbed 800 hp monster.

That being said, TBI and carbed motors are great for 'rods because you don't have to mess with the computer. However, in this case it was pretty much a total drivetrain/computer swap so that may have actually been fairly easy. And the fact that it's done, and done right, is great.

Actually a REAL Shelby H model is relatively rare. Just like any special model there are far more replicas out there than originals. And for that reason I don't get excited any more about seeing a Cobra (not mustang) on the road. There's a much better chance of it being a fake. Putting the H on this care is like adding an R on your Honda.

That said, other than the H the car is an amazing feat of aftermarket engineering. They replaced the whole rear of the car to accept the IRS! And I think it can use unmodified headers because it has a Mustang II front suspension which is smaller and I believe doesn't have an upper A arm. This allows for more clearance in the engine compartment.

Back