• Register Today It's free!

Suspension or Body lift???

thirteen

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack, B.C., Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I am soon getting a lift on my explorer and i was wondering what peoples opinions were on which i should get, suspension or body, and what the prices would probably be?
if anyone can help, please do!
*for prices please note if in US or CAN $$$

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, welcome to the site.

It really depends on what you want to get out of it. Flex, looks, offroad cabablities etc.

Do a search on this topic, there are several threads on it.

hmmmmm

yeah, of course i want it to look good, but i want it to be a good off road vehicle, my main concern is that its good for going snowboarding in but in the summer me and my buddies do some 4x4ing! lots of fun

If the truck isn't going to see to much off roading, then you could get a Body lift and/or some shackles with a coil spacer and you'd be able to get some 33's under it to look good.

33's

so you both seem to think 33's are the answer, so i will probly look into getting them soon, but i need to buy a snowboard rack first, seasons in a couple weeks

Well 33s aren't the ultimate off road tire, but it's a good off road tire size that is still good for the road and easier on the wallet when it's time to replace. We are both running 35s but we probably do a little more off roading then you might plan on doing. IMO, 33's are the minimum that i'd go for offroading something a bit on the serious side (don't mean to step on anyones toes). But like i said in the post above, depends on how much you want to do.

yeah the wallets the issue right now

yeah i have had to replace my coil/module, the tranny and my starter in the first 3 mos of having it, but now its running fine and i am ready to start off small and work my way up.:D

Dont forget, if you plan on running 33's you may need a regear :(

regear

Dont forget, if you plan on running 33's you may need a regear

yeah but what will that cost me approx?

regear will be approx $350 in parts and labor would be from $500 to $1000 depending if you can find a deal.

damn it all and get both lifts. 3"bl and 6"sus with 35's. WILL HAVE TO REGEAR.

regearing cost me $1500 to do front and back

Originally posted by dgibson
regearing cost me $1500 to do front and back

Why spend all that money and only go 4.10s if you were going to run 35s?

I ran my stock 3.73s on my 32" tires and thought it was decent so regearing isn't a huge deal but it will help with power.

didn't really know what I was doing when I did that. If I could do it again, I would have put in 4.56's. The 4.10's is what the tranny shop suggested as they were rebuilding my tranny.

Originally posted by thirteen
I am soon getting a lift on my explorer and i was wondering what peoples opinions were on which i should get, suspension or body, and what the prices would probably be?
if anyone can help, please do!
*for prices please note if in US or CAN $$$
With my Ranger that I recently sold, I did both. Suspension was a 2 1/2" Rancho lift, because I didn't want to be towering on the road, but, I wanted better suspension flex. Well, I didn't really get great flex from the kit until I installed swaybar disconnects for a stock Jeep CJ. These cost me $60. I later installed front shocks for a 4" lift by Skyjacker along with 4" Skyjacker lift springs. This gave me great performance. I also installed 2" body lift by Performance Accessories which included the shifter extension which was welded on. Great accessory.

Overall, I had 6" of total lift combined with 33" BFG AT/KOs which gave me a total of 9" lift over stock. I also installed 4.56:1 gears in the front and rear diffs and I did great in the Ranger.
-Ken

Back