189 miles Full tank | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

189 miles Full tank

don't forget to burp the system and maby replace the rad cap you might want to get yourself a failsafe thermostat then it can never fail closed and overheat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by checkedout
Are you sure he has a 19 gal tank? I thought they were a bit smaller on a sport? I was thinking 15 or 17.

All 1st gen trucks, whether 2 door or 4 door, have 19.2 GALLON GAS TANKS.

It wasn't until the 2nd gens that the Sports got smaller tanks.

I dont think you have to burp the system on our trucks. Ive never known anyone to do it on a explorer. I didnt and my trucks fine.

you should do it on any cooling sysyem when the engine is cold remove the rad cap and fill it up to the top with water and you will befine

I'm getting around 205 - 210 per gas tank. You'll just have to get used to the fact that the gas mileage on these things are abysmal!

Yea but if they came from the factory with fuel milage for example 15mpg you should be getting 15mpg. Why even have the thing if its not living up to its full potential. Therefor instead of just pouring money into the gas tank, why not fix it and save money in the long run.

Na, it doesn't work like that. It might say 15 mpg city on the door sticker on a new truck, but in the REAL WORLD you would be lucky to get 13-14 mpg in town.

Thats false advertisement though, no. Well my moms car gets 17 mpg and is advertised to get 17mpg. Even if your are not able to achive the highest mpg stated by the manufacturer, wouldnt you want to try and get the best mpg you can?

The numbers are required to be put on the vehicles, they are not there necause Ford wants them there.

They way the test to get the numbers is different than normal driving also.

Then what is the point of even having the numbers on there, who cares than what the numbers mean. Who are people supposed to know what mpg their car is supposed to get.

Its an estimate.

Geez, I thought 12-13 mpg sucked even in winter with all my mods. Definately check the O2s, cats, and make sure tire has good psi (it's gotta be cold in R.I. and winter probably compressed the tire air)

the numbers vary..the test data may be at a different speed and driving style then u have

like if u drive like =) right foot hammered prety well u are going to get horrid gas milage..if u drive like the g-ma in her honda with the right foot in just enough to roll foreward ur gunna get awesome gas milage

so ford can back up the test results but it is just an estimate kind of

and just so u people feel better my dads mustang gets 8mpg when i am babying it =)

Originally posted by Tekeman
Geez, I thought 12-13 mpg sucked even in winter with all my mods.

That's about typical city winter mileage on a 1st gen 4x4 with auto transmission if it's hilly at all...

...those that do 5.0 swaps often improve their gas mileage...

You should do a search. But ill answer it anyways. Seafoam is an engine cleaner. It cleans out carbon. You can buy it at Napa.

i had been searching...i guess i was really asking where to get it...when doing a google search, i didnt find much

One thing i do remember though is when my truck was bone stock with exhaust and kkm i was getting like 300 out of a tank. Those are cheap ways to get beter MPG.The SOHC is a little more efficient than the OHV too.

whats the big deal on the gas cap? Your talking about the cap that u open up to fill ur gas up rite? Should i change this, would it do a big number on my mpg? And about my differential and tcase, should i run synthetic thru it all? Would it make a big diff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The gas cap can cause a CEL to be triggered.

I would definately ise synthetic in all locations.

Back