limited slip q | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

limited slip q

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes it is a limited slip, and there would be a little more involved than dropping it in.
Why are you thinking of buying this, is there something wrong with yours?
Or are you just looking for more traction. If this is the case you would probably be better off with a lunch box type locker or limited slip.

Just my $.02

yes i have a regular rear axle and want more traction but not looking to spend much....A-what is the difference between this and an aftermarket limited slip and B- what else is required to install it ?

anyone else have an opinion? just wondering if i need anything other than this? thanks

Looks to me like it would work. The person selling it is wrong though saying it will fit in mustangs...they are 28 spline ;). I'd say go for it, but you could also check around some of the local u-pull places, you might be able to get it even cheaper,.

Good Luck!!
CP

B- what else is required to install it ?
a mag mount dial indicator to set the backlash on the carrier and a bearing seperator and press to get the old carrier bearing's of your open carrier and onto the new one.

sorry for all the q's but i think i am gonna make a move soon, so would my mechanic have these things on hand? i am not installing it....or would they need to be purchased for my install? thanks

If your carrier is fine then go with a powertrax or something like that, you will spend more, but can install yourself and they are nice units from what I hear. With this you are buying a new(used) carrier, limited slips are ok, but if you wheel them the other rear tire will still spin. If you want a carrier replacment get a Detroit or ARB. They are stronger than stock and full locker.

This limited slip carrier is a waste of your money if you ask me. Buy a Powertrax, it fits inside your carrier and replaces the spider gears. No messing with swaping the ring gear and getting it shimmed right.

Let me know what you think

plus the bearings on the carrier in this auciton may not be good and need to be replaced.

Bottom line if your carrier is fine and you are not regearing and you don't want to spend the money for a detroit or ARB then get a lunchbox locker like the powertrax

ok i have had a few votes for dont get it...what i invision a limited slip to be is still giving power to one wheel but if one slips the power gets shifted to the other right? where as a locker is both wheels getting power...and unless i get a selectable one this will hinder daily driving right? i dont wheel a ton just sometimes but i just have a pet peeve of one wheel on dry pavement and one on slippery surface and not moving an inch....wouldnt the limited slip function well in situations like this? thanks

I am with Jacked. I hate my factory limited slip. You will end up spending less if you do a powertraxx or a lockright. Your carrier won't have to be changed out and your gears wont have to be set up.
It is like this:
LS unit: $100 or whatever

Labor: $200 or so if you are lucky

Thats $300

Lunchbox locker: $280. You install it in an afternoon. (or your mechanic does it for far less than the LS install)

Either way I would much rather have a locker in my rear than my rebuilt LS. If you want to waste your money, how about giving me some?

A limited slip just isn't very aggressive. I can't even tell mine is there until I lay on the ebrake. Mine is freshly rebuilt too. This would have worn clutches so it wouldn't even work as good as mine. The lunch boxes are gear driven and don't wear out like a LS. Hope this helps...

I guess it is only at 20 right now (not 100). I can't even tell if it is a posi from the pic. Might be Open. still vote for the lockright or whatever. I got one in my front and it is rad...

You are right, the "purpose" of a limited slip is to give power to "both" wheels. However that rarely happens. I had a limited slip carrier, hated it, now I have a detroit=full lock. This is in my rear axle and my explorer is my daily driver. If you have any driving skills at all, driving with a locker is not a problem if you ask me.

Do you understand the difference between a carrier replacement and lunchbox locker? You could easily install a spider gear(lunchbox) replacement locker yourself even if you aren't that handy.

Keep me posted as to your decision.
Nick

ps hope I am helping and not confusing :confused:

jacked...thanks for the input...as of now i am holding off on a limited slip. The one i was looking at (not the one i linked) actually is "rebuilt" with new parts... good bearing etc....anyway with the "lunchbox" locker on road drivability are there noises, binding etc? what driver skill is needed to make it not noticable on road. also, is there an aftermarket limited slip that is impressive? just picking your brain a little trying to figure out what is best for me.

If you are gonna do a carrier replacement, there are tons of options, ARB, Detroit, OX, etc. I love my detroit and like I said, it is in my daily driver. No special driving skills really, you will adapt in no time. If you are just gonna do spider gear replacement I would look at powertrax, I believe they have a locker and a limited slip. You should be able to find all kinds of info online about them. I have heard that there are some noises from the spider gear/ lunchbox lockers, but never experienced it. If you don't mind spending the money on a carrier replacement, I love detroit, they have been around for ever and make a great product. Let me know what you think.
Nick

Without looking at the auction, I can tell you Ford's limited slip only allows for a difference of around 27 ft/lbs. of difference between the two tires. What this means is that if one tire is on ice and only takes 5 ft/lbs of torque to spin it, the other tire will only get a maximum of 32 ft/lbs. of torque before the limited slip slips and sends the remaining torque to the wheel that is already spinning. If 32 ft/lbs. to the one rear tire is enough to get you moving then great, the limited slip worked. If it isn't then you'll be no different than an open differential. The advantage of a locker is it will allow a true 50/50 torque split to both rear tires.

Back