• Register Today It's free!

Sport (2-door) Lift Kits

X Rated

Reaction score
City, State
Western Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
I have been looking all over for a lift kit for my '98 Sport and haven't been able to find a single one. I have seen earlier models ranging from 94-99 with 6'' Skyjacker sets but I have yet to see those anywhere. Can any of you help me as I am desperate to get some 'leverage' in this world.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first.....4wd or 2wd?
If 2wd...then spindle lift and Shackles and Add a leaf.

If 4wd...then 4" superlift and SOA in the rear. Then a 2" Body lift will get you to 6".

4wd, and thank you ever so much.

Not a problem....and Welcome to the site.

Alright another Sport owner! Welcome to the site.

I have the 4" Superlift. I bought it from Summit racing for $1150. That is to lift the front only. If you want to add the rear leafs, it is another $400 i believe.

I used $20 spring perches to flip my springs above the axle (SOA). I already had the 4 door leaf springs, which every Sport owner should switch to.

How high do you want to go? How much do you want to spend? Keep in mind that bigger lifts mean bigger tires...that means lower gears...IT NEVER ENDS!

A nice size lift can be accomplished with a 3" body lift and a torsion twist (TT) for a total of 4 to 5" lift. Looks good with 33"s.
Dead Link Removed

The 3" Body lift, Superlift 4" along with a 1" TT for 8" in the front. In the rear...SOA with 4 door leaves for about 6" to total 9". Even with that much lift I had to trim the inner fender lip for clearance.
Dead Link Removed

How much did you fork over for 4-door leaves? I'm assuming you purchased new, not used?

I paid $75 per side at a local auto parts store. Some junk yards can get you new ones too. I bought new because I was adding the add-a-leaf at the same time and didn't want to mess with used ones. I also wanted to make sure I had good bushings instead of worn out ones from the junkyard.

Lots of people get used ones. If you do, check each leaf for cracks. I would disassemble the leaf packs to get a good inspection. While they are apart, grind the points were each leaf rubs on the other. Use water proof grease on those points also. This will eliminate noise from the leafs rubbing and insure smooth action.

Thanks for the info. I am running stock right now, but I'm going to start with TT and shackles and work from there. I'm tired of the saggy Sport. A new leaf pack would be a wise move I think. Along with a bigger tire.

sup fellas i have a 99 sport and have been looking for new leaf packs from a 4wd. what companies have yall ordered from. also along tima ago i saw leaf packs that were already 4" lift leaf packs will that be 4" before or after they are installed and if after then how much of a lift after they are installed? thanks nice sport Mascman. i like it. what size rear end do you need to get if you go 33" tires and do you have to or can you stay stock?

The 4" lift springs you can get from Superlift...about $400.

To fit 33"s, I had a 3" body lift with the Torsion Twist (TT), which was about 5". It's the first pic above. I don't think a 33" will fit with just a 3" body lift...it will probably rub.

You have to decide what you want to run and then figure out how much to lift it.

I just did the 4 dr. leaf swap myself. Got a set off a 2000 XLT from the salvage yard for $35 a piece. Installing them yourself is really easy too. Took my friend and I about 2 1/2 hours. Brought the rear end up to stock, but after seeing how high it was when I had it jacked, now I'm craving more and want to do shackles.

Mascman, you used a stock spring for the SOA, right? not a "lift" spring. Does a stock spring over generally result in 6in.? Also was swapping the gears a PIA. I've heard getting to the front ones is a pain. assuming you have 4wd. X looks good.

The link is to the kit. I'm not sure if that includes the rear springs or not...better make sure.

I estimate my SOA at 6"+. I have the 4" in front PLUS 1 to 1.5" additional using the TT and the rear is still higher.

There may be a couple reasons for this. I bought these springs brand new and installed an add-a-leaf before they even went onto the truck. When I had these on, I was also running air shocks, so they helped to bear some of the weight. Maybe that's why they still have alot of their original arch?

Now that I am thinking about it, I may have substituted the helper leaf for a regular leaf. I don't think I have the original short leaf on the very bottom.

I didn't swap the gears myself. It takes skill and special tools, so I left that to a pro. There's a guy near Freeport, PA who did both ends for $350 labor. I bought the gears and install kits from 4 Wheel Parts. He said the front wasn't bad compared to an S-10 that he just did. I have had no problems with his set-up.

custom leafs from a spring shop

Just had my 99 sport lifted. Local spring shop made a custom leaf for the outside of my re arched monoleaf. Its the same length as the inside of the stock spring. It looks factory clean, and really helped to firm up the ride. They can go up much higher by building custom springs.

what is the part number from PA for there 3" body lift. i know its for the ranger but i want to order it next week and want to make sure im ordering the right thing.

99redXsport said:
what is the part number from PA for there 3" body lift. i know its for the ranger but i want to order it next week and want to make sure im ordering the right thing.

PA 883

on my 98 Sport I put on 4 door leaf springs, double AAL, WAR153 shackles, TT, and 2" BL.

I fit 32's and no rubbing at full flex. This week im putting on some Perry's Fenders and will be able to fit 33x12.50's.

I just wanted to give you another option than buying the superlift kit- that kit does not provide any extra ground clearance up front because it dropps down 4" below the crossmember- it only allows for larger tires.. so its all preference and what you're capable of doing.

sk1er17 said:
I just wanted to give you another option than buying the superlift kit- that kit does not provide any extra ground clearance up front because it dropps down 4" below the crossmember- it only allows for larger tires.. so its all preference and what you're capable of doing.

As does ANY lift kit. If it were a solid axle, the axle would be dropped down from the vehicle. The ONLY way to get center diff height is bigger tires, regardless of how the truck is built.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

some people dont realize that and think suspension kits are the only way to go. i was just tryin to help out and give another option dude.

Back