92 Explorer Front Wheel Bearings--800 Bucks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer Front Wheel Bearings--800 Bucks?

hermitrl

Reaction score
City, State
sturgeon falls ont canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 4dr EB
I have a bad wheel bearing on the front drivers side and noise on the other. Canadian Tire quoted me 400 bucks a side. I almost passed out from shock. Is that not really steep? Four wheel drive can't be that much worse than doing a 2 wheel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's totall crap imo. I bought all the needed parts for mine and had them done for 200, and that was steep i thought, i could have easily done it for half.

Good Luck
CP

They are pretty easy to do them yourself

Replacing all 4 front bearings along with the 2 grease seals cannot be that much. The cost for the above parts is under $50 U.S., and the work is easy to do (1 hour shop time). You need to get the quote from the shop to see exactly what they are going to replace. If they are replacing additional components (like spindles and rotors) the price can go up fast.

The bearing and race set is $14 and you'll need 4 of em so thats $56 for the bearings plus $8 x 2 for the seals and $4 for a tub a grease. $76 for everything ya need. Throw in $15 for a Haynes manual and a few bucks for tax. Now go out and work on your truck for couple hours at the most and then go spend your $300 on something better than labor at a shop! :D

You guys are forgetting that he may need the spanner wrench for the spindle nuts as well, so you might have to buy or borrow some tools.
$800 is 4x's what they should be charging you maximum.

bearings are i think the most over priced thing when u take a car to a shop..they tried to charge me 700 bucks for a 91 tracker about a year ago lol

also as for that toll ^ i think u can rent that from kragens...

Bearings and races are 8 bucks for a set at autozone. Inner and outer are the same for 1st gen. 16 bucks for bearings a side, plus seals (they are cheap also). The races need to be pressed out, but aside from that its a simple job.

Hell, even if the spindles and rotors have to be replaced, your still going to be under $200 for everything. Been there, done that, ...still didnt get the T-shirt.... :p

JEEZUS CHRIST MAN!!! You have GOT to be kidding me!! That about the worst screwing I think I have ever heard of!! Please tell me you are NOT going to let them pound you like that with no Vaseline!! As everyone else stated, its very easy and fairly cheap to do it yourself.

Or even a kiss on the neck? They may be including new rotors, pads, calipers, hubs, spindles, knuckles, alignment... oh wait you can buy a new front end for less than that. It'll take you 2 hours max on the ground... get he haynes manual as suggested before, and get you hands dirty :D

Back