Front wheel bearing 2004 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front wheel bearing 2004 Ford Explorer

gp41761

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
Have a growling noise coming from front right wheel. Worse when I turn to the right. Sound like a wheel bearing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely. Replacing the front hubs isn't too difficult, but you should replace both at the same time. I remember replacing one of mine that I suspected was bad and they both ended up needing replacement, so it made sense to just do them both.

I think the rule for bearings is that whichever direction you turn that you hear the noise, it's the opposite side which needs replacement, so if you hear a noise while making a right hand turn, it's the left bearing. On my vehicle I heard a noise only when making left turns, but both bearings needed replacement

I agree with Kesp4.0, it does sound like a bearing and I'd suggest hitting both sides at once.

Pretty easy job too. To can get cheap ones on eBay that last anywhere for 15-35000 miles or timkens that last more than that... First time you do the job is tougher because you prolly have gummed up bolts.. I can now swap my fronts.. Both in about 2 hours..

hub bearing or cv shaft,easy fix,,personally would'nt do both sides untill the other goes.

Back