Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

96 explorer 4.0 rough idle on every start

Earlier you said that when you replaced the MAF sensor is when things went wrong. Try to put the old MAF sensor back on and see what happens. I have got many new/bad parts before. This could be it all along.
  2. 9

Clunk from rear 96 explorer

Hi, for starters I would check the u-joints on each drivshaft. I found you a very good link for this operation. Using the search engine below can help you find info for about anything explorer related on this site. Heres the link...
  3. 9

I have a feeling it could be this, the canister purge valve. Never had a problem with one before but you never no. Also 96eb96 do you think a misadjusted TPS could cause this. The computer might take that 20 seconds to adjust to the bad readings.
  4. 9

To be honest with you the purge soleoid is a part I have never delt with yet. It would be rare for that to go out, And I personaly wouldnt no if that could cause your bad idle. There really is not any info around for that part. I would just do some testing by ear. Try to see were the leaks...
  5. 9

5.0L wont revv over 3000RPM and fuel pump was just replaced

If you dont have a Hammer/torqe screwdrider.A very small chisle and a hammer will work. You would angle the chisle so its just bearly catches the side of the screw. Slowly hit the chisle tell the bolt starts to free up and spin. You want to make sure your angling the chisle the way the bolt...
  6. 9

You got an air leak still. Im thinking it must be some kind of vacuum solenoid or valve. I dont think the intake is leaking because that wouldn't go away. There are two things it might be. 1. EGR vacuum solenoid or 2. canister purge solenoid Also check the coonections to the brake booster.
  7. 9

Your not haveing a fuel pressure problem after watching the videos. Its most likely pointing to the TPS. The TPS runs of an electronic signal. The more throttle you give the higher power signal is sent to the computer. This part, If I remeber controls the entire engines fuel/air system. It seems...
  8. 9

Wow, you got a good one to find. After replacing all that stuff I would think you would have found it. Well, have you ever done the sea foam cleaner yet. This product sometimes helps issues like this. And its only $8. It may be worth a shot to try. Thats my suggestion. Besides you might have a...
  9. 9

1999 xlt problem

It sounds like your bearings might be going out, but I could be wrong. Heres a very helpfull thread for changing the bearings and seals. This does not include the carrier bearings. Which could be your problem like cobraguy explained. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214805
  10. 9

uneven tire wear (with picture)

There are many things that can through off the alingment I could write an entire book on but I left it to minimum. That upper arm only needs to move a slight hair to through it off. A slight twist of the bracket or even warn out bushing raises will cause this. Everytime you hit that parking curb...
  11. 9

1999 xlt problem

You can start by checking the transfer case and rear axle. If you have to, put the rear axle on sturdy jackstands so the tires are off the ground, let the tires spin in drive with the car running. Put blocks in the front tires. Do not give it any gas. Just let the tires spin slowly so the gears...
  12. 9

1999 xlt problem

2wd or 4wd or AWD?
  13. 9

GIJOE's Desert Explorer

GIJOE, I have a quik question. Will that front suspension set up work on my 1996. I wanted to do something like this. I was going to fab it all myself but I really like there lower control arms. What set up did you buy.
  14. 9

uneven tire wear (with picture)

Your problem is the allingment. This is a very common problem with all cars. In your case the upper control is adjustable and sometimes moves causing allingment issues. If you notice the upper contol arm has a bolt on each side that the washer welded to is not centered. This allows the upper arm...
  15. 9

Help! Coolant Pouring Out of my 97 5.0 AWD

Well, after reading all the above you might have cracked your block or cylinder head. Intake could be the another one. I suggest you take the thermostat out. Fill the system full of water(not coolant,its not worth waisting tell you fix it), take a cooling system pressure test pump and pump her...
  16. 9

Stiff Gas Pedal

Thanks, I will check all these out first. I have a feeling the throttle boby was sticking. The car has 93K original miles and I believe the stock spark plugs are still in it. This cars had very minimal maintmance. Thanks everyone. I will let you no what fix's it.
  17. 9

Stiff Gas Pedal

I started to notice my gas pedal is getting hard as a rock right off the bat. Its sorta like somethings binding up. The first 1/4 inch of push is hard. Sometimes its so hard it causes me to instantly push 1/2 throttle once it breaks free. Its like im racing again. :burnout: Im sure someones had...
  18. 9

Electrical Problems, Expert Needed

It was the reverse lights grounding out. On the rear driverside tail light harness I have a factory conector that had a single black wire running down near the tow hitch. It was along the tow/trailer harness. It was grounding out on the frame. Once I removed the wire(from the factory single wire...
  19. 9

does anyone know where to buy a lift kit

Make sure your steering shaft is removed, and theres enough room and slack for all your grounds and wireharness'. The front bumper and rear bumper sometimes get hung up so you can remove those if needed. There are alot of brake lines and other such items attached to the fender wells inside the...
  20. 9

Problem resolved.Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.:thumbsup: I found that the orange/purple wire was melted going through the fire wall. This wire was the one coming from fuse #26. I found that two other wires were melted to it which one was a 12 volt hot. I seperated them and...
  21. 9

Now I have found the problem. Fuse #26 kills the power when pulled so I was thinking it had to be within this circuit. Now after further inspection, the purple/orange wire that is linked into fuse #26 stays powered with the fuse removed. If im right this should be a dead wire now.
  22. 9

Yes there is a factory trailer wire harness. It looks like no one ever tampered with it. The only two things added to this car were a second alarm and aftermarket stereo.
  23. 9

need help with egr, detail from dealer inside

Heres a thread that should help you some, its for a 1998 but it should be the same. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225563
  24. 9

I found the problem, But it didnt fix it. Could my GEM be toast. The reverse lights were grounded out. I never noticed they didnt work and now they do once I fixed it. The GEM is linked to the circuit which controls the revers lights. Could this have harmed the GEM.
  25. 9

Did you replace the fuel filter when the pump was replaced? Im thinking your fuel presure at the rail is not staying within specs. Try a fuel pressure test to see what you get.
Back