Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Coolant leak from bottom of engine, need location ID help

Thanks. It's a lot easier to find info on something once you know what it's called. I've now searched around for freeze plug, and it is what that is. Now to just keep searching till I find how to replace it.
  2. S

Coolant leak from bottom of engine, need location ID help

hey everyone. I just spent a couple months fixing a bunch of stuff on my explorer just to have this new thing pop up that has stumped me. When I backed into the parkingspot at home this afternoon, I noticed a stream of coolant falling underneath the engine bay. Looking in from the wheelwell and...
  3. S

Did this come off my explorer

Thanks for all the responses. I checked the sway bar bushings, shock bushings, and tie rod ends today and they're all intact. I guess it did come off someone elses car. But I never would have thought to check the sway bar bushings and shock bushings until it was too late.
  4. S

JDraper

I'm a little late on the feedback, but I bought some door parts from JDrapper about a month ago. The transaction was fairly smooth and the parts arived well packaged and in the condition as claimed. Deffinately reccommended Thanks
  5. S

Did this come off my explorer

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could put my mind at ease or to possibly save me from certain disaster. The other day I returned to my explorer in a store parking lot to find this sitting on the ground, just inside my rear tire. It looked to me like a body mount, so i checked...
  6. S

steering box rebuild, need advice

Hi all, I'm midway through rebuilding my steering box, and have ended up somewhat stuck. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the upper (preasure) seal on the sector shaft. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to remove this? Is there some special tool for removing seals like this? Any...
  7. S

need opinions, hinge painting

Hi all, A lengthy battle to remove the door hinge pins has left me with some very shiny hinges. I figure I better repaint them soon to keep them from rusting, but I don't know much about painting metal so I don't know the best way to go about it. First, would I need to put a primer coat...
  8. S

Lemon Law

if you're from NJ as your profile says, this link has everything you need http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/ocp/lembroc.pdf
  9. S

Is my starter dead?

I'll double check my battery cables, haven't had a problem with any other electrical, but it could be just between the battery and the starter. I'm hoping it's bad ground, but I'm not sure which wire to look at. Is it part of the wire harness? or is it the wire coming off the bolt that...
  10. S

Is my starter dead?

Ok, I've searched around, but could not find another thread with similar symptoms. My '92 has decided it no longer wants to start, and I wanted to see if any one else has any ideas before I dump a bunch of $ on a new starter. Ok, here's the details. It's a '92 sport with auto tranny, about...
  11. S

Skrewy brakes

just a thought, since the power break booster needs a vacuum to work, you might want to check your vacuum lines for any cracks or clogs.
  12. S

Electrical Problem--Stuck in Wal-Mart Parking Lot

Another possibility is a shorted out relay, other than the starter relay. When my fuel pump relay shorted out a few years ago, my x wouldn't start, none of the lights worked, and it couldn't be jumped. Try giving your power distribution box (near battery and airbox) a light shake/bump and try...
  13. S

which engine do i have?

the OHV engine has 4.0EFI on the cover
  14. S

horsepower

flywheel numbers are 155hp @ 4200 RPM and 220 lb-ft @ 2400 RPM.
  15. S

AC condenser clutch kicking in every 3 seconds?

Most likely just low on refrigerant. Make sure the recharge includes dye so if there is a leak, you'll be able to find it.
  16. S

97 AWD Trans Jumps

You might want to check on your spark plugs. My X was doing the same thing at just under 2k RPMs and went away completely after changeing the plugs.
  17. S

tranny/engine ?? jerks occasionally

Do you know what rpm's it's at at that speed? It sounds to me like the spark plugs are bad or improperly gapped, just kinda suprised that they would be on a new vehicle. That's probably a good/easy place to start, it fixed my X when it was doing what you described.
  18. S

Bit of a Stretch

From "That" site: wheelbase: 103.4in \ length: 167in \ front overhang: 24.1in \ rear overhang: 40.2in \ width: 66.7in \ track width: 58in \ height: 69.4in \ aproach angle: 44.2deg \ departure angle: 28.6deg \ breakover angle: 22.2deg \ ground clearence: 10in
  19. S

Ford in trouble???

Actually, I just came across this that says that Toyota has taken the #2 spot away from Ford in global sales. News artical second arctical I'll see if I can find more info.
  20. S

redrig

great seller, redrig did a great job packaging to make sure the part arived in working order, and got it shipped out right away. He kept me informed every step of the way and everything went nice and smooth
  21. S

Should I let my friend buy a Ram?!?!?

Tranny is deffinately the weak point of the '96 Ram. My boss's '96 (same as the one you said, but with over 100K milage) has been in twice to have the transmission worked on. But other then that and a couple of oil leaks hasn't been too bad of a truck, and that's serving construction duty. So...
  22. S

problematic seatbelt

yes, that's the roller I'm referring to. the belt comes down goes around that roller and then gets wound up on the upper one. I don't think it has any critical role in the operation of the seatbelt, except to prevent damage to the mechanisms above. and yes, one of the bolts I stripped was...
  23. S

problematic seatbelt

I was hoping not to replace it, the retracting mechanism and the other saftey mechanisms are all working perfectly. The roller I'm talking about, it's only job is to keep the belt straight as it goes into the mechanism, and to keep it from twisting, and possibly to even brush off any dirt that...
  24. S

problematic seatbelt

A couple of months ago my front passenger seatbelt started squeeking, and recently it has become difficult for some of my passangers to pull and doesn't wind back up on it's own. So I decided to pull off the interior panel (not an easy job on a 2door) and opened the seatbelt housing to hunt for...
  25. S

Engine quits...dealer can't help.

This sounds like a bad fuel pump to me. I drove a car that did exactly as you described it and that was the case. Hopefully it's not cause that can be expensive, but I would suggest having that looked at.
Back