Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

How to replace upper intake manifold gaskets

I just did this fix on my 99 EB yesterday. I didn't realize until after I got the engine cover off that the instructions/pictures I printed off didn't match the upper intake assembly that I had. Oh well- still worked through it! The whole job (did upper and lower gaskets) took me 3 hours. The...
  2. N

Front/Driver-side Squeak

Just tried this, but the sound persists (I think I know why...). I hit 3 bushings on each side, the upper and lower ball joints, and (what I believe to be) the tie rod ends. I took it for a short spin after and the squeaking was still there and just as bad. I crawled back under once I got back...
  3. N

Front/Driver-side Squeak

Just went out to check it: Yes, it squeaks when I turn the wheel to the left. I'd crank it to the right, and as soon as I turned it back to the left there would be a squeak.
  4. N

Front/Driver-side Squeak

Hey guys, need a little help: I've developed a very noisy squeak coming from the front, driver-side area. It squeaks over bumps, of even with quick suspension loading/unloading (I can make it squeak when I hit the gas from a stop). Up until today I thought it was my lower ball joint, but I...
  5. N

TT, Shackle and AAL w/ Rusty Undercarriage?

Thanks for all the help, guys! The seizing/destruction of parts is what worries me, because when I start the project I won't have another vehicle to run to the store if I need something. What should I have on standby? A set of bushings? Any bolts? I just got done purchasing an AAL kit...
  6. N

No one that's done any of these with a rusty undercarriage (or those that decided not to) cares to comment?
  7. N

Hey guys, just wondering how many of you have done the TT, shackle and/or AAL with a VERY rusty undercarriage? I'd like to do a little lift on the Eddie but I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle as the undercarriage looks pretty rotted from many midwest winters. How much difficulty would...
  8. N

Hard time starting up

Mine is having a similar problem as well, minus the parked on a hill. Any morning where the outside temp is below 50 the truck will start but will idle rough and sporadically die. I did some googling and found it possible to be a bad intake leak at the plenum or something to do with the IAC...
  9. N

Fluid leaking from inner driver-side rear wheel

I noticed this the day after I went wheeling with some friends. I thought it could have been brake fluid (it was a little low) so I topped it off. I haven't noticed it again, but that one time got me a little concerned. Could it be something to do with the rear? I crawled up underneath but...
  10. N

George Washington Nat'l Forest - Fall 2010

Yeah, we did Peters Mill Run. As far as that weekend, I've gotta work Thursday and Friday but have the actual weekend off. Depending how far down you are (if it's worth the drive for a single day) I might be interested.
  11. N

Had a blast today! It only ended up being my buddy and me. Today was successful in many aspects: had a blast, nothing broke, learned more about how the Eddie behaves off-road and how to DRIVE off-road, didn't bottom out, realized how much of a beast a stock Explorer is! Seriously, I can't...
  12. N

Sorry to hear, man! We'll try and get another run in a couple weeks! Also, I should update: my buddy needs to be back in DC by 4pm, so I think we'll kick it off earlier. We're now planning on arriving at 9am. Anyone know how long the trail takes on average?
  13. N

Yes! As stated before, my Jeep buddy and I are both going no matter what. We're doing Peters Mill Run on Sunday- not sure on a time yet. I think we'll leave DC around 9am and get to Harrisonburg around 11am. Have you done the trail yet? We'll meet you somewhere if you just tell us where.
  14. N

Sounds like a great time! However, as to your suggestion on no stockers, I won't have the privelege of a little lift for this trip. I think that I want to hit a trail without anything first and then figure out what, if anything, I'm going to add to the Eddie. I'm also having difficulty...
  15. N

Haha, interesting... I'm sure we won't have much to worry about if we're in a National Forest, am I right?
  16. N

Great, we'd love to have another! My buddy and I settled on Sunday the 14th, so that's our go date. We're still working on a location, though. I'm thinking either Peter's Mill Run (near Edinburg) or Rocky Run (near Harrisonburg). I have zero experience with either, but I've been watching...
  17. N

Well, unclemeat hasn't said yet when hunting season starts, so I don't know what his and his buddy's deadline is. I, however, will be going the weekend of (probably the Saturday) Nov 13-14th with my Jeep buddy. You're more than welcome to come along!
  18. N

Getting those plastic trims back to OEM black with pics

Agreed, I was just about to add that. I'm all for spicing up some old and worn pieces, but if you are all into the cheap fix, the Back to Black works amazingly. I just freshened up my new EB that's got 222K miles on it and countless midwestern winters. I've done about three treatments of it...
  19. N

Mach system questions.

I have the Mach system in my 99 EB and just put an aftermarket deck in it 2 weeks ago. I ordered through Crutchfield and they included an adapter that allowed me to use the whole system. It sounds amazing hooked up to a stereo that allows me to customize the low/mid/hi's.
  20. N

aszman, I'll keep an eye out for sure! Alright guys, I still don't know when hunting season starts, but a Jeep buddy of mine and I plan on hitting the trails the weekend of November 13-14th. I can always go before then, but my weekends are a bit busier. Either way, I should have enough time...
  21. N

Up until a month ago it was my daily driver, so quite a bit. Unfortunately, being on it that much made me less likely to ride it for fun. I'm hoping that having something else to commute in will make me enjoy riding it again! I need to take her into the mountains again before it gets too cold!
  22. N

When does hunting season start? I don't mind which trail we hit, although I'd prefer one that my mostly stock rig could handle. How is Peters Mill Run? It's only 1:45 from me.
  23. N

Anyone planning on hitting-up the GW Nat'l Forest over the next month or two? I finally got my Eddie and have been looking for a chance to head to the trails. I, myself, am not planning on anything crazy since I'm currently stock. I will, however, have the TT & shackles done prior to going...
  24. N

How to remove rust stains from your rear window

I used Turtle Wax chrome polish and it worked great! At 222K miles AND having lived in SD/MN for all that time, there was A LOT of oxidation all over the window!
  25. N

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Just got her, but she's at 222K. The last owner did a good job with maintenance, but I'll still have to check things over, crawl under her, and figure out what might need to be replaced soon.
Back