Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Harmonic balancer failure

Had the balancer fail on my 2005 Explorer, 102k miles. I ordered the Dorman part from Rockauto, p/n 594-236 $85. It looks identical to the OEM photo posted earlier in this thread. The Bolt was just shy of $8 from Ford. Just wanted to update the thread since it's the first to come up in a goggle...
  2. C

Brake pedal slowly drifts to the floor.

No. Even if there were it wouldn't cause the pedal to leak down to the floor. The master cylinder has to be leaking or bypassing internally.
  3. C

Brake pedal slowly drifts to the floor.

2005 Explorer 4x4, ABS, ControlTrac with 100k Miles Brakes were replaced at 87K miles along with rotors & fluid flush. Problem occurred all of a sudden, brakes stop and hold but the pedal slowly goes to the floor. Problem is present without the vehicle running but obviously not as...
  4. C

5R55W Fluid Fill

Getting ready to do a fluid change and looked through the various filling methods posted. One I haven't seen or missed was a technique I came up with using a 3 gallon pump-up garden sprayer. Fill it with ATF, you can modify the wand to add a hose or just lop it off to go in the side fill plug...
  5. C

Sun Visor problems

The new ones are crap as well. Replaced the ones in my wife's 2005 last year at $80 each and they've both cracked (Tan) and fell out in pieces. I've glued one back together well enough so I can get some dimensions, going to model them up in my CAD and see if I can turn out aluminum replacements...
  6. C

2005 Explorer difficulty shifting out of park (4x4 AWD RSC)

My wife's daily driver, 75k miles. She has been complaining for some time about being intermittently being unable to shift out of park. Today she broke the gear shift lever off. (I've read that thread, part is on order) So I had to go rescue her. In the past, I've checked the little interlock...
  7. C

Explorer IRS Wheel Hub Bearing Failure Pics

I had the typical rear roaring noise that sounded a lot like tire noise at 75k miles. Was able to run the the vehicle up on stands and use a stethoscope to confirm the noise source. Got everything pressed apart & replaced both wheel bearings. It takes a full 20 tons to pop the bearings out...
  8. C

Anyone know the part number for the '04 Rear Diff Axle Seal

Just a little update to this old thread as I found myself in a predicament with the wrong seals. A google search brings up this thread. For some reason both RockAuto and a Ford parts website came up with a Motorcraft BRS40 which is the WRONG seal. Even Advanced Auto couldn't find it in their...
  9. C

Disabling 4x4 Auto & Traction Control/RSC? Rear end noise diagnosis.

I did, but only because I couldn't get OEM Motorcraft ;-)
  10. C

I had the vehicle up on stands and used a mechanics stethoscope to listen to both knuckles and the differential gear case, gear case was quiet, had the wife run the speed up to 55mph. Going to replace both hubs/bearings since I have to pull the half shafts anyway to replace the differential seals.
  11. C

8.8" IRS Axle/Output Shaft Seal part Number Question

I've run across TSB 06-22-5 regarding the halfshaft seal leak. Both mine are leaking, one significantly. The current part# appears to be 7L1Z-4A109-D. I was wondering if there is by chance a Motorcraft p/n. Looking on Rockauto, they list a BRS40 as a rear axle seal. The price difference between...
  12. C

Figured it out. Just unplugged the transfer case connector.
  13. C

I believe I've got the dreaded rear differential noise. RH side seal is leaking, 73K miles 2005 4x4. Noise sounds like mud tires on the highway, I can feel the vibration in the floor board, it's been getting consistently louder and doesn't matter if it's loaded or coasting. Hub bearings feel...
Back