Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

A/C Rear Line Leak

I'd be very hesitant to eliminate the A/C from the rear of the vehicle. The Explorer's twin, the new Rover Discovery has had people complaining about insufficient A/C in the rear. Eliminating it completely sounds like a bad idea.
  2. R

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Here is a good way for folks to get their data into the public: https://www.truedelta.com/ And here is the data for the '11-'15 Explorer. A very limited data set, but it's not good: https://www.truedelta.com/Ford-Explorer/problem-histories-85,2011-2015
  3. R

4WD w/2-speed transfer case vs. AWD and "just let the computer decide"

I'm no expert, far from it, but it seems the question really comes down to the terrain. If you need the ground clearance then the Ford will fail you every time. If are limited because of traction and not the depth of the snow then good tires and an Explorer may get the job done. Mine struggled a...
  4. R

So long, and thanks for the help over the years. Bonus: BMW Comparison Info

Yes, Ford essentially took the design from Land Rover during the period of time that Ford owned Jaguar/Land Rover. That explains the Explorer design as well as many of the current Ford sedan designs. They sold to TaTa in 2008(?)
  5. R

2011 Limited 4x4 Third Row Left Side Won't Stow

Force is not your friend in this case. Don't ask how much it took to break mine....:-( Over the years, my problems were from something stuck under or sitting on the seat, or the metal pivoting bracket which connects to the underside of the seat coming loose. When the underside bracket came...
  6. R

K&N air filter question

Perhaps the K&N filter was not "perfect". A dirty filter (or over-oiled) can cause various problems including hesitation. I don't know if decreased power would impact shifting but with the systems being so interconnected I wouldn't rule it out. Regarding K&N filters: If you are not running a...
  7. R

I stand corrected: trade in for our X6 would probably be closer to $20,000 but not $13,500. I was remembering private seller prices from last year. Current price is around $25,000 so that does make a big difference. I also checked the purchase price and was wrong on it. Revised numbers: BMW...
  8. R

One final comment on the Ford vs. BMW, since Forddealz mentioned the "Beemerfest" forum.... I don't know which one you were referencing, but the popular forum for the current generation is http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/ If you take the time to scan the posts, you may be interested to see how...
  9. R

Not enough. ;-) I will miss that extra bit of room the Explorer offered but it was rarely used. Neither vehicle can hold a sheet of plywood flat on the floor so they both fail equally. The X5 has excellent tie down hooks on rails on both sides of the cargo area. Driving with unsecured cargo is a...
  10. R

Mine was built in 6/2014, so a few of those issues were already dealt with by that time. Hopefully the others won't be issues for me. That said, BMW did replace all 6 fuel injectors on our X6, out of warranty, at no cost to me. Why? Lots of answers to that one, but the only answer that matters...
  11. R

Everyone here should thank PeterK9 for his work on this forum!

You may take for granted how much effort he has put in to the forum over the years. I do not- he has been an enormous contributor, both in posts and other ways, to this forum. A sincere "Thank You", PeterK9, for your effort!
  12. R

Thanks to everyone who has positively contributed to this great forum. While I am thrilled to be rid of my Explorer, I am grateful for the help received from so many fine folks here at this forum. It is a shame that Ford did not stand by their product for me and left with such a strong dislike...
  13. R

P2196 and P2198...what to check

Cleaning it seems to have worked... This really is an easy fix, thanks ssilence for the original DIY post.
  14. R

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

A lot of folks would like more info on this.... Thanks!
  15. R

P2196 and P2198...what to check

Fingers crossed on this one. I cleaned my Vapor Canister Purge Valve with some Sea Foam spray and put dielectric grease on the contacts (habit now for anything I disconnect on this problematic vehicle). Simply sprayed some Sea Foam in each of the openings, let it soak for a bit then shook it...
  16. R

Air Bag Light / Seat Belt Warning

A bit of additional info on the repair process: 1) Mine was fixed by working on the 2 big connectors under the drivers seat only, nothing in the center console, nothing in the door, and nothing in the kick panel. 2) Those connectors are a bit of pain to get to release the first time you have to...
  17. R

Air Bag Light / Seat Belt Warning

A big "THANK YOU!!!" to those addressing this issue. Now, about that SES light that came on today....
  18. R

Transmission failure!

A note to anyone removing their transmission dipstick- be sure to clean all around it first, including the underside of the cap. Mine had a LOT of gunk, probably from my A/C compressor failure, on the underside and that is not something you want falling into the transmission.
  19. R

Transmission failure!

Thanks for letting me know the link wasn't working. Yeah, I am glad it was an easy one too. And odd. That just doesn't look like a part that should fail the way it did.
  20. R

Transmission failure!

To aid anyone with this issue in the future: Ford By-Pass Valve Automatic Transmission By-Pass Valve assembly (Ford Part #BT4Z-7H322-B) The block of wood prevented the valve from rotating when I was removing the threaded lines from the top A cheap water bottle can be cut into the tool needed-...
Back