Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

96 Explorer Ball Joints

Cool. Thanks. I was just wondering about what I heard about the factory ones. Thanks again. :chug:
  2. S

96 Explorer Ball Joints

I read the sticky about these and it is a WONDERFUL post that I know will help me out. I have one question though. According to Chilton, "the balljoints on upper and lower control arms are not removable or servicable. If a balljoint is damaged or worn, replace the control arm". I have heard...
  3. S

Full stop clunking!

I had the "clunk" and last weekend I swapped out the t.c. and now, the "clunk" is gone. I still need to replace the ball joints and the control arm bushings. The b.j.'s to help stop wearing out hub bearings and the bushings to help stop all of the "Dee-Bo" squeak on my front end. (From the movie...
  4. S

Full stop clunking!

Check the transfer case. The front driveshaft constantly spins.
  5. S

transmission jerking into second

On the "whinning" sound, did you check the wheel hub assemblies? Does it do it going straight and turning in one direction and them stop when turning in a different direction?
  6. S

Full stop clunking!

You can hit me on fb @ sandman8105.
  7. S

Full stop clunking!

Does it "clunk" in 4 wheel drive?
  8. S

Full stop clunking!

When you mentioned front driveshaft, you do have a transfer case, correct?
  9. S

How to: The Borg Warner 4405 Transfer Case Rebuild Diary

Thank you. I was trying to find one this weekend but, I guess it will not happen. I wasn't sure if local auto parts stores carry them or if I have to order one. Is it safe to use RTV Black?
  10. S

How to: The Borg Warner 4405 Transfer Case Rebuild Diary

I hate to drag up an old post but, does anyone know what the part number is for the mating gasket between the tranny and the t.c.?
  11. S

4 wheel drive clunk

I figure the transfer case is causing the "clunking" noise and I have another one to put in. But, when I jacked up the front and spun the tires, I was getting a noise I believe where the cv axle slides into the front pumpkin on the driver's side. Hard to pin point. I have already replaced the cv...
  12. S

Ford Explorer with a 4405 Borg Warner transfer case issue.

Where can the viscous coupling and chain be bought at? I can't find them anywhere. Sorry for dragging up an old post.
  13. S

Guess actually all that it needs is the viscous coupling and chain replaced (and any associated bearings etc.). Just wondering if it is more cost efficient to fix that or install another t.c.
  14. S

Anyone know where I can get a Borg Warner 4405 from at a descent price?
  15. S

Front Driveline Problems

Will try this weekend. Keep posting all. I appreciate EVERYONE'S help. Sorry if I sounded short. Thank you. Will let you know what I find soon.
  16. S

Front Driveline Problems

It has new cv axles, wheel hubs calipers, and brake pads. The sound is coming from the front driveshaft itself. Just not sure if it is the u-joints, t.c., t.c. motor. Anyone else have this problem?
  17. S

Front Driveline Problems

We only use it in mud. It is a HARD "clunking" sound. Not sure if it is bearings in the t.c., the shaft slipping, or what. The shaft turns but, acts like it may be slipping. U-joints, bearings, or t.c. Please help. ONLY does this in 4wd. New hubs, c.v. joints, and brakes on both sides. Thanks!
  18. S

Front Driveline Problems

Everything is fine in 2wd but, when you engage the 4wd, it makes this horrible sound. Guessing it is either the (front) driveshaft or it's components or the transfer case. Anyone had this issue and know the cause and how to fix it? Thanks, Sandman's Wife PS. 4x4 is working. Just trying...
  19. S

Front Drive Shaft

Good to know. Thank all of you.
  20. S

Front Drive Shaft

It is a 96 control trac I believe.
  21. S

Front Drive Shaft

This is Sandman. On the old lady's 96' the front driveshaft is turning even though it is not in 4x4. Is this normal on this thing (not that I have ever heard of it being normal), or is the fact that we just went mudding and the axle and transfercase hasn't been cleaned off enough? Or mechanical...
  22. S

96 4.0 ohv xlt

Have you checked the power steering pump?
  23. S

A look at this leak, please

Looks like to me they used form-a-gasket instead of an actual gasket. Not sure if the fluid has possibly eaten thru it or if they tried to seal it right before you bought it. But, definately keep an eye on the fluid level at least untill you have t&m to get it fixed. The right way.
  24. S

Howdy ya'll!

Thank you for the advice!
  25. S

Howdy ya'll!

Hello. I am setting this up for my wife so you will probably hear more from me than from her unless she wants to b* s*. I have a 94 F-350 Turbo Diesel 7.3 idi crew cab 4x4. (Diesel Bombers web site.) Her's is a 96 Explorer 4x4 v6. I need some help (confirmation on my thinking???) about tha noise...
Back