Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Towing Capacity with a Lift?

With those stock sized tires, your towing power or braking shouldn't be affected at all. I went from 29" to 32" tires with a tired old V6, and I'm pretty sure that's what makes my tow rig so weak. The lift made my body roll and sway more during normal driving and during towing. I drive...
  2. J

Towing Capacity with a Lift?

My overall stability decreased when towing my boat. With bigger 32" tires vas stock 29", my acceleration is muuuuch worse.
  3. J

2002 Rear Suspension work

Rear wheel bearings often fail as well. They are a known weak link.
  4. J

How far would you drive for a deal on DOHC engine?

Yeah, I'd make that drive if I had a car that needed it.
  5. J

Photos 3rd gen pic's

Dude. Your truck was the inspiration for my truck. I just bought these 265/75/16 tires, and now I need new ones!
  6. J

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

My wheel bearings tried to kill me this weekend! My disc brake was the only thing keeping the right rear wheel attached. The bearing puked out balls when I barely pulled on the hub! The outer race welded itself into the knuckle and ruined it. I had to order a whole new knuckle and bearing. I...
  7. J

Brakes for truck?

I put EBC green stuff pads on my exploder with new rotors. I have a Titan hydraulic surge disc brake kit on my trailer. The rig ok, but could be better.
  8. J

No transmission dipstick on a 2010 Explorer?

I have an aftermarket deep trans pan that came with a dipstick. I prefer it to the sealed system. I do a lot of towing, and I like to check the fluid often.
  9. J

18.1 mpg today

20 on road trips. 17 around town. I guess I shouldn't complain.
  10. J

Considering an Explorer

That reminded me. The alternator failed as well. Luckily I was able to limp home on battery power. I was able swap in a new one for $60. It took like 5 minutes. Very easy. In light of all my repairs, I can't fault the exploder. It has been abused for 12 years as a work truck in a very harsh area.
  11. J

Considering an Explorer

I have a 2002 with 105K miles. Major repairs I've done: -replaced transmission -rear wheel bearings -front wheel bearings -front ball joints -Air conditioner needs to be charged every couple months -passenger front window quit working -cracked rear plastic facia. I had it replaced, and the new...
  12. J

Towing upgrades

I have done some towing upgrades to my rig so I can pull my boat. -EBC greenstuff brake pads on all four corners. -DOT 3+ brake fluid. -AMSOIL trans fluid. -Aluminum deep trans pan with dipstick. (got a deal used on this site. They are stupid expensive new) -Extra 10"x12" trans cooler, mounted...
  13. J

Bottom Line: Towing with a 2002

I have 2002 XLS V6 ex. The owners manual says that in my current configuration, I can tow 3500lbs. After that, the owners manual gets convoluted regarding towing capacities. Does anyone know ALL the upgrades that are included in the tow package with a V6 ex? How much weight can the truck...
  14. J

Another tranny thread...02 Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I'm just about as familiar with this transmission as you are. I did the exact same thing to check my fluid level. I had a little come out, but not too much. It sounds like you checked it correctly.
  15. J

Am I just lucky?

I use my 2002 exploder to tow my 4700lb trailer and boat. I've weighed the truck and trailer together, and they are below the GCWR by a couple hundred lbs. I put a new transmission in the truck this summer, but that was due to the servos failing, and I don't think towing really affects that...
  16. J

Explorer shuts off when slowing down

Mine did it a few times at low speed. I replaced the fuel filter and it hasn't done it since.
  17. J

Question about V8 trannies and durability

I am currently replacing my 5r55w at 95k miles. I have a v6 though.
  18. J

4.10 Regear in a 2002 XLS

I am seriously considering regearing my 2002 XLS from 3.55s to 4.10s, so I can improve towing performance. I've been using Ronin's thread on regearing as my primary resource: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282464 I can't go junkyard spelunking for a set of used 3.73...
  19. J

Is there a heavy duty 5R55E

I'm currently in afghanistan on "business":salute:. I'm passing information that my wife and neighbor are telling me about my 2002 exploder. They told me that a valve in the transmission failed, and that is will only shift between fist and second gear. It won't shift into 3rd. If my neighbor...
  20. J

HEAVY load towing experiences?

That boat looks like a fat guy in a little coat! Such a big boat wearing a little explorer. Between the lift and heavy boat, your transmission is a hand grenade with the pin pulled. I have a 2002 xploder, and I pull a 5000lb boat/trailer combo. My xploder feels like it's on it's limits for...
  21. J

Temp gauge: what should I see?

I recently installed a B&M trans temp gauge. I frequently tow a large boat. Without towing a load, just driving on the highway, I see 150*F consistently. When I'm towing my boat on the highway, I see a consistent 170*F. When I accelerate hard out of a stoplight, I see temps as high as 190*F...
  22. J

Help me build a better tow rig

I have 3.55s right now. I have been looking at replacement axles on ebay. They seem to run about $450 apiece, so it'd be $900 + shipping to do it that way. I think that I might be able to just buy some new 3.73 or 4.10 gears, and an install kit for less than that.
  23. J

Are there any good threads that show how to do a gear swap in an ex? Are there any good kits? I just looked on summit, and didn't find anything really useful. Ebay has some salvage differential pull outs, but they are just 3.73s, and kind of expensive.
  24. J

I use my 2002 exploder XLS to tow a monstrous 22 foot powerboat. I weighed the combo at a local truck scale, and it came in at 10,020lbs total with me, my wife, and a full tank of gas in the ex and the boat. The ex has the following upgrades: -class III hitch -new oreilly brand...
  25. J

2002 XLS No AC

Turn on the AC when you get home and then open the hood. Watch and see if the compressor is spinning or not. If not, you most likely have low freon. I don't really know what to say about the burning smell. If the compressor was seized, you'd probably hear the belt screeching long before you...
Back