Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

OBD-II conspiracy?

That's why I said THEORETICALLY.
  2. T

Diesel Vs. Gas? Looking 4 F-250

My next truck is going to be Diesel. F-250 Super Crew shortbox 6 speed, ST on steroids. I used to hate them but I drive a ton of them at work and just came to like them. If you're serious about one, let me know. I work at about the biggest truck dealership in NY. We sell about 60 trucks/month so...
  3. T

Custom overhead console

There is absolutly no storage space in my ST. It's a 5 speed so it's even worse. Has anybody fiberglassed an overhead console? I don't need something huge, just a place to put sunglasses, thuway tickets, stuff some gloves in winter, etc. I've seen a couple aftermarket overhead consoles but I'd...
  4. T

OBD-II conspiracy?

The companies already do a good enough job getting you to pay for professional service by putting things in near impossible places to remove or forcing you to use special tools. With my Datsun, you can take half of it apart with a $50 metric tool set. I think government madates on cars are...
  5. T

Where do I get axle shims?

Found a place I could get them custom made, but Summit has a shim kit (1,2,+3degs) I just ordered. I would have had to have taken mesurements and dimensions to get them custom made. I'd recommend everybody who has had shackles check your pinion angle. I don't see how it could be left within...
  6. T

Tried it, the 4x4 shops get their shims from all thier shims from a spring shop that's near Canada, I drove there a couple days ago and got the only shim (3deg) they had. It's still off 2 deg.
  7. T

After I installed shackles, I needed shims to put the pinion angle back to specs. I got the only one I came across was 3deg. and I need a 5deg. Napa will order them but I have to order 4 pairs. Are there any online off-road stores that carry them? I need an anwer QUICK!
  8. T

Mods for better braking?

I was about ready to dump $$$$ into getting my old Explorer to brake better. I bought my Taurus instead, but it solved my problem with bad braking. I'd try some Performance Friction or Hawk pads. If it's fading, it could be due to gas build up so slotted/cross drilled rotors would solve that...
  9. T

Where to buy rotors?

Autozone has about the cheapest rotors I've seen.
  10. T

Scratches and chips

A parts store for the sand paper and I got my buffer online. But, the buffer is $200 and you can really screw it up if you don't know what you're doing. Those $40 ones from Sears are nothing but toys. I've been doing this for 8+ years and am still learning how to do stuff. You'd almost be better...
  11. T

Any one running these tires?

I think I may be betting Discovery STs when I'm done debating with myself about getting the 4in Superlift or keeping the shackles. I had Discovery ATs on my old Explorer and really liked those. I've got Cooper ZHPs on my SHO and have hardly shown any wear after 10k and I'm getting Avon race...
  12. T

Shackle install ?

It never sprung back with mine. The only time you have to be a little careful is putting the spring back in the new shackles. I used a prybar to move the spring down and got it on the first try, just be cautious that the prybar doesn't slip. I had a problem with the axle angle afterwards causing...
  13. T

Scratches and chips

Here's how I do it at work- Try to do it indoors if you can. Take a toothpick and dip it in the bottle of touch up. Use that just like a brush and fill in the scratches. The brush is WAY too messy. I usually let the paint dry and then put another coat on to get the paint to be a little higher...
  14. T

In Theory, Why Does TT Work???

I did mine a week ago and it's got a vibration at 60-65 now. Overall, I think it rides a lot better than stock. I was next to a suburban war wagon (SUV poser) last night and was looking down into the passengers seat. (Acutally looking at some guys hot wife) I haven't taken it off road because...
  15. T

Drop in a 91-94 Taurus SHO engine?

I guess the SHOShop was working on a 4.0 stroker kit that was suppose to be released awhile back. Last I heard they were still working on it. I've ordered a couple things from the SHOShop and the quality isn't really that good. I could have built my bypass pipe from them in 8th grade metal...
  16. T

sho blower

You'd be better off buying the charger itself. The SHOShops blower is just basically a blower with a kit to make it fit a SHO.
  17. T

Drop in a 91-94 Taurus SHO engine?

If it were any SHO engine, I'd use a V8 and wait until the 4.0 stroker kit comes out. (Approx 300hp/270ft/lbs) The V6 is powerful, but it doesn't, or the V8 for that matter, make it's power until the upper RPMs. There's somebody putting an a V8 SHO engine in a Cobra replica so nothings...
  18. T

Where to get axle shim?

Anybody? I found a shim kit but it works on the pinion, not the axle itself. I'm thinking of taking some sheet metal and wedging it under the axle to raise the front end up. Good idea?
  19. T

rear tailgate fading

I usually just buff them out. It works really good, but you have to know what you're doing.
  20. T

Removing Pin Stripe

Get plastic razor blades at a parts store and use a heat gun. It takes awhile and is a PITA. I just got done removing vinyl graphics from a Ram at work....:fire:
  21. T

Where to get axle shim?

I narrowed the problem of my vibration after my TT/shackles to the axle not in allignment. The parts dept. at work really didn't know what I was talking about, so, where do I get axle shims?
  22. T

Japanese vehicles rated most reliable

I'd like to know what they mean by "problems". Is it major like an engine blowing up or breaks squealing? There should also be a note that people that buy imports tend to take care of them better. 95% of the cars we take in on trade are TRASHED and need at least $500 worth of work. When I...
  23. T

"bucking" in 4wd

Nothing happened. I went up some good hills in 5th and floored it to put the engine under stress, nothing. I thought the ignition could be arcing. I'm now waiting for the next snowy-wet day to check out 4WD again. If yours in doing it in 2WD, try going up a hill like I did to give the engine...
  24. T

ford 4.0 trans failure? AA wants comments

I've got the 5 speed and it was replaced along with the tcase at 18000 mi after a loud grinding noise. I'm not that impressed with the new one either, sometimes it grinds downshifting into 3rd.
  25. T

Slight vibration after TT/shackles

I did the TT/shackle lift Fri. night and noticed a slight vibration around 60mph. Today I balanced/rotated my tires. It helped some but I can still feel it a little bit. I'm going to get an allignment done at work Monday. Could the lift knocked the allignment out enough to cause a vibration...
Back