Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Parts to grab for manual swap?

Its a nice kit, but ultimately I have to ask myself is it worth the work when I could just buy another explorer that is manual transmission already for a reasonable price, which might be the direction I head.
  2. J

man this PCM issue is quite the road block for what would appear to have been a simple and enjoyable swap job. From what I can tell, things are as you say, im going to need a custom tune on the PCM, where my understanding is they simply shut off the transmission functions sent to the PCM so its...
  3. J

Can you describe more the issues that would arise here? What are the functional issues when that isnt done?
  4. J

thanks, this is great info. almost wasted some money.
  5. J

4wd. Does that mean I need a gearbox from only another explorer? Will the Ranger 4.0 OHV M50D work if thats all that can be found?
  6. J

ok thanks for stopping me! I could see going to the trouble to pull the gearbox and hunting for a bellhousing if this was extremely rare, but with such a common vehicle as a ranger I should just look for the correct one. So to clarify in my mind, any 4.0 OHV gearbox should work behind my 4.0...
  7. J

I thought the M50D-R1 would fit behind the SOHC 4.0?
  8. J

I have access to a 99 3.0 5 speed ranger to swap gearbox parts into my 4.0 automatic 99 explorer sport. I am planning to grab the gearbox, transfer case, pedal assembly, related trim bits for the shifter ect, and flywheel. My questions are will the 3.0 flywheel work on a 4.0? do I need to...
  9. J

expanding the range of a 99 sport, second fuel tank?

I like the jerry can idea but i dont like the idea of having a full gas can on the rear of the truck or in the cabin if im in the cabin all day. I use this in a 100 square mile territory that includes two major metropolitan centers and being rear ended is a major concern, plus jerry cans...
  10. J

Upon consideration thats the way I might go instead. I had forgotten that 99 was the change year to a returnless fuel system which would hugely complicate mucking with fuel delivery. Also there is an argument to be made for not playing with the stock system for emergency repair on the road by...
  11. J

thanks for that link, I did find that thread on the Van fuel tank! great info http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/want-to-relocate-your-gas-tank.249316/ I wonder if I can do something similar for my gen 2
  12. J

Looking for input on getting more than 250 miles out of my 99 sport. I am using it for a survey job which has a lot of driving. The explorer excels at the job except for two things, economy and range. The fuel economy, while poor, can be acceptable if i could up the range a bit. As it stands...
  13. J

cruise control impacted by ABS light?

Everything else works including the odometer. The ABS light illuminated at the same time as an audible random click started that has become quite loud from the front end. A noise like a loose part rattling around. Ive found no smoking gun, but i dont like the feel of drag in the original...
  14. J

cruise control impacted by ABS light?

Quick question- With an ABS light on will the cruise control automatically not work? I recently replaced my snapped off switches on the steering wheel to try and get cruise control working for the first time in my ownership, but i did this with an ABS light illuminated. The cruise...
  15. J

nailing down a shudder and vibration

Yeesh, totally defeated removing front driveshaft. 4 bolts on the front U joint are seized pretty bad with rust. Broke off a socket and a torx head bit after a good soaking. Transfer case side came off great. Had to put it back together so the wife could get to work, will have to go round...
  16. J

Ball joints are nice and tight, and there is some improvement since the first post. That speed related noise seems to be gone. Whats left is the shudder. Ill try and describe it more effectively, it seems to manifest itself up through the driver rear to everyone, but im betting thats an...
  17. J

There is no audible clunk, but i think im going to replace them anyway out of hand as well
  18. J

I think i will also try removing the front drive shaft as you suggest here. Somehow i missed this suggestion, i will double check, but i cant recall there even being a boot on that driveshaft at all. Its 4 oclock in the morning and i might go out there and check it EDIT- yes there is an...
  19. J

How to replace cruise control buttons (w/ pics)

Great writeup! This exact procedure will work on 99 sports also. Decoration on the wheel is the only difference.
  20. J

Not a bad idea, i think i will try this out. I mentioned earlier i checked the U joints, the way i went about this was shaking the driveshaft for any in and out play on the universals an both their axis, and looking for rotational play. All 3 seem nice and tight, but its an inexpensive part...
  21. J

Is Anyone running a system w/o leaf springs in the back?

X2 for down here, almost exactly the same price. All new springs are way better than add a leaf and beefing up sagging springs through HD shocks. I gained at least 3 inches of stock ride height
  22. J

ok new springs and shocks installed. That was a bit of a pain, but I was able to reuse the U bolts and replaced the rusty shackles, so it was worth doing plus the truck sits higher and leve with the front finally which is nice. The driver side rear spring was flat, and the ride is better, but...
  23. J

rear shock blown AGAIN. This makes 3 times on the left rear. Shudder is worse than ever. I am now replacing the monoleaf springs with an aftermarket 3 leaf spring pack for this explorer, and doing the shocks again. After all this, it has to be the left rear leaf spring causing all...
  24. J

long overdue to update the problem. Bad rear shocks, and front shocks were not tightened down properly by the shop that was employed to install them. the were tight enough to not make noise, but could be moved by hand, so the truck had a good 1/2 inch of suspension travel undampened by...
  25. J

Is “Check Gage” a typo?

Maybe the gage instead of gauge is simply about fitting the two words in the smallest light circle and still be noticable.
Back