Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

rebuild of used transmission assembly

I had mine rebuilt on my old 99 for $1,000 at a local shop which included all soft parts replaced. Drove fine for the 20,000 miles I put on it afterward.
  2. S

Drivers Side Seat

You can also try a cleanup of the original motors. This from a different car (Lincoln) but it might work for you: The Mark VIII Forum - Viewing topic #11347 - Seat Motor Repair Tips (long)
  3. S

2002 ford explorer mileage gas bad

How bad is "real bad"? Have all of the common components such as plugs, wires, fuel filter, o2 sensors etc. been replaced? Mine at 108,000 miles averages 20 in mixed driving.
  4. S

05 dumped coolant

Do a pressure test and it should become obvious in seconds. Mine did this a dew weeks ago, turns out my thermostat housing was split but I have the 6.
  5. S

4.0 V6 chain rattle - Percentage

2002 with 106K, no rattle yet. Since it is being retired to sporadic hauling duty around town it may be a while.
  6. S

Has anyone rebuilt his engine (4.0 sohc) without the OTC-6488

Ford 4.0L V6 Cam Alignment set Tool # 6488, Specialty Auto Tool Rentals
  7. S

Worth to fix?

Saw this out your way: 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 2wd 4dr All Parts!!! Also this: 2002 Ford explorer for parts
  8. S

Worth to fix?

I had the transmission rebuilt on my old 99 (soft rebuild) for $1,000 with a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. My daughter has driven it for 20,000 miles without problems. If the vehicle is on otherwise good condition then it may be a good idea. If it has multiple issues, rust etc. no. Only you...
  9. S

Wanted Xlt to xls

2002 Ford Explorer New Car Test Drive
  10. S

2004 Ford Explorer XLS - Modification Queries

I just checked, everything you are looking for is available on Ebay.
  11. S

Looking to buy an explorer...

I paid $1600 for my '02 from the original owner with 98,000 miles and a thick stack of receipts of work done. I spent another $600 getting things done (both front hubs, right rear window regulator and motor, replaced stereo) and have put another 4,000 miles on it. It drives tight and smooth...
  12. S

2002 Ford Explorer XLS heat not working. (Video attached)

You answered your own question.
  13. S

Cargo area under-floor storage question

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-2002-2005-Ford-Explorer-Mountaineer-Rear-Cargo-Stowage-Area-Pull-Handle-/262253988619?fits=Model%3AExplorer&hash=item3d0f8e4b0b:g:UpoAAOSwL7VWojx3&vxp=mtr
  14. S

To Build or Sell? That is the Question (2002 XLS w/ Manual Transmission)

I paid $1600 for my '02 XLS that had 98K miles on it and then spent another $600 fixing various issues and it runs like a champ. Do you want a better optioned Explorer, or do you like the 5 spd which is rather rare? Personally with as cheap as these are, I would sell and find a better starting...
  15. S

TPMS Fault - Very Low Pressure

Sounds like you have at least one bad sensor. These lose their battery at the 8-10 year mark. Have them checked and replaced as needed.
  16. S

Reader/Scanner

If you turn off the auto locks feature the lock-unlock problem should go away while driving. It did on mine.
  17. S

Can anybody help identify these issues?

Interior lights could be a bad door switch as in the 02 I just bought.
  18. S

4.0 Timing Chain trouble, possible replacement engines?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-FORD-EXPLORER-ENGINE-4-0-VIN-E-8TH-DIGIT-SOHC-W-O-OIL-COOLER-1275226-/162397179539?hash=item25cfa04e93:g:BscAAOSwx6pYpLXv&vxp=mtr
  19. S

Help/Advice: Craigslist post. '98Explorer. All fine but Reverse went out

I just dropped a grand on my $1400 Explorer to do a soft rebuild of the transmission, and when cold it still has problems going into reverse and will slip and rev like in neutral going forward for a few minutes. I am close to cutting my losses and moving on.
  20. S

It just followed me home (version 2)!

Tires look good, similar to what I want to put on mine. I just dropped $1000 on a soft transmission rebuild with new converter so they will have to wait a few months longer.
  21. S

96 rear hatch won't open

I managed to hit lock/unlock about 20 times in a row and it popped open. When I got it open I lubed the latch assemblies and had no more problems. For the window I took off the rear trim and lubed everything well, the rear window suddenly works. There are quite a few threads with varying...
  22. S

Time for a rebuild/replace?

If the goal is a few more years, why not go with an intermediate mile used engine and call it a day? A quick search of car-part.com shows many 75,000-85,000 engines for well under $1000. Saw a 56,000 mile one for $600 as a matter of fact...
  23. S

V6 or V8

Depending on mileage you could get a good used engine and replace the guides while it is out. There is a bunch of them on car-part.com, some with under 100K.
  24. S

No Ding When Lights On Or Drivers Door Open

They (the door jamb switch) are pretty cheap on Ebay and readily available new.
  25. S

Compatibility from a 98 to an 01

This site will tell you what model you have as well as the engine and option packages: https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=E039ABA3BE7CCFB1A92F77BC5F2F5AEA.eccvas1900b
Back