Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Looking at buying 01 Ranger. Advice?

does putting a heavier weight oil like 10w30 ever help them? Or should I be sure to only put 5w30? I'm just not familiar with this engine... from what I've read it sure is a whole lot pickier than the 4.0 OHV! I wish this truck had one of those. Do you know how hard it is to swap one into a...
  2. B

it's an automatic. The oil looked pretty good. I figure it'll need some work, but similar trucks in my area are selling for about double the $2000, so I think I'm gonna do go for it. I'll post some pictures when I have it :) I'll definitely be sure to change the oil with synthetic and get a...
  3. B

So I'm looking at buying a 2001 Ranger Edge Plus SuperCab 4.0 4WD with a stepside bed and 167,000 miles on it. I went to look at it this evening, and it seems pretty good apart from a few minor things that I would want to replace (like the cruise control buttons). My main concern is the SOHC 4.0...
  4. B

Fuel Economy Dropping Slowly

So I just drove about 300 miles and got about 19 mpg with a kayak on the roof, so I think that MAF sensor cleaning did some great things! I'm interested to see what it'll get without the giant boat on the roof... I'll definitely look into some of these other things as I've got time and money though!
  5. B

Good to hear. I think it'll be a while before I can get around to all of that, but I'm sure it would be good for it. It seems to be happy with the cleaning I did to the MAF sensor, so I'm hoping that made a difference. I'll be driving a couple hundred miles tomorrow, so I'll be able to get a...
  6. B

That's good to know. Can an O2 sensor be cleaned and made to work properly, or does it just have to be replaced? They don't seem to be too expensive, so is it even worth cleaning them?
  7. B

Okay, so I think I'll be taking a little bit of air out of the tires when I get home.... Can the O2 sensors go bad without throwing a code and making the CEL turn on? I cleaned the MAF sensor yesterday (with MAF cleaner, not carb cleaner or whatever other things people sometimes try to use)...
  8. B

No. It's never come on the entire time I've owned the truck.
  9. B

The trips just recently were the same weekend. The weather was fairly different (first was about 65 degrees and rainy/foggy and the second was about 40 degrees and dry), and they were the same number of miles each because it was a simple there and back (probably 400 miles total). It still runs...
  10. B

The tire pressure is good (around 60 psi in light truck all terrains). It rolls well, and there's no indication that the brakes are dragging. I just replaced the thermostat about two weeks ago, so it's good, and I changed the air filter when I changed the oil about 500 miles ago. I hadn't...
  11. B

I've got a '99 XLT 2wd that I've had for several years. It's always done quite well with its fuel consumption, but lately it's been getting worse. Took it on a decent road trip over the weekend and averaged a little under 18 mpg highway (70-75 mph, cruise control), where I used to get 20-21 mpg...
  12. B

Rear Bumper from... England?

Okay, so this is a random question, but I just found out that they sold the 2nd gen Explorers in England (it's kind of funny to see them with right-hand drive), and upon looking it up I noticed across the pond they got a different rear bumper than we do here in the States. See an image here...
  13. B

4.0 OHV Just Began Using Oil.

I maybe had to add a quart, probably less. It was in a big jug so it was harder to tell exactly how much. I've never noticed any external leaks or oil. Just general greasiness in some places, but nothing that ever made me think something was up. I've been running 10W40, as that's what had been...
  14. B

Gear Selector Needle Out of Whack

So my gear selector indicator needle thing on my instrument panel has somehow gotten bumped right just enough that it indicates the gear to the right of what it's actually in. It doesn't bother me too much since I know that "2" is actually "D," but it's just one of those little things that's a...
  15. B

4.0 OHV Just Began Using Oil.

I've got a '99 explorer with the 4.0 OHV engine with 252,000 miles. Until I checked the oil two days ago, I've never seen it use any oil. I changed the oil at 250,000, and most of the miles since have been highway. Is there anything that I can do to help it? It's not bad, but if there's anything...
  16. B

Camber Problems

The new tires are the same size as the old ones (LT225/75R16), so any size difference will be from the newer tread. Everything I've got is stock, so I'm not worried about the control arm being too short... It's not so far out that the cam's won't be enough to fix the problem, I just wanted to...
  17. B

Camber Problems

The last time I had it aligned was when I did the upper control arms. The lower ball joints were still stiff at that point, so I wasn't worried. I have redone the toe myself after hitting a bump particularly hard and knocking it out, but the camber was fine after doing that. I have bought new...
  18. B

Camber Problems

My camber has always been just a little bit off, so when I needed new lower ball joints and tie rods, I figured that would fix the problem (I replaced the uppers about 20,000 miles ago). Instead it's actually worse after doing the job. Is there something that I could have done wrong to make it...
  19. B

Regular Shocks or Load Leveling Shocks?

Okay, that answers my questions quite well! I have seen a lot of places online selling them, but it was hard to tell from the descriptions whether they were single shocks or the pair. I do have some rear end sag, but it's not terrible. I'm just figuring that when it comes time to get new shocks...
  20. B

Fog Light or High Beam Memory

I have wondered how to get the fog lights to stay on when I turn on high beams as well (from what I understand that's the jist of your question). If anyone has any info on that it would be great! It's always been a little annoying that it doesn't do that...
  21. B

Regular Shocks or Load Leveling Shocks?

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking about replacing my shocks and I'm wondering about the advantages of load leveling shocks versus regular shocks. I've looked at Monroe load leveling shocks and they seem to be a lot more expensive (it looks like I can buy 4 regular for the price of 1...
  22. B

Thinking about swapping to Limited Slip Differential

Another quick question: If I were to find a diff with a different gear ratio, it wouldn't be bad to put it on since my truck is only 2wd and has no front diff, right? According to the chart the D3 and L73 are both 3.73 like my current one, and I don't think that I want to sacrifice fuel...
  23. B

Okay, that's really pretty good then! I'll see about it whenever I get a chance to actually go to a junkyard!
  24. B

okay. That would probably cost significantly more though, right?
  25. B

I definitely plan on doing the work myself. Never swapped a diff before, but YouTube should be able to help with that. Unfortunately I don't have the overhead to go buying a whole truck, but I'll definitely try local junkyards. Just gotta find some time...
Back