Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Serpentine Belt Tensioner?

Was going to pay to have this done but am glad I decided to come look here first. This forum is the best and is a must for every Explorer owner.
  2. C

Serpentine Belt Tensioner?

My idler pulley seized and I was about to have my vehicle towed and repaired. I had a feeling it wasn't too difficult to replace so I thought why not do it myself. It was a 5 minute job. The next problem was to relieve tension from the serpentine belt tensioner. This post saved at least...
  3. C

Check Engine Light. Need Advice

I would clear them and see if it would come back. It won't hurt anything.
  4. C

Mods & upgrades to improve mileage & performance

I just back from a 750+ mile trip and averaged 20.4mpg keeping at a steady 68mph. I didn't think it was possible to get that gas mileage with the Explorer.
  5. C

Heading to Alaska, need block heater

pservecc, I never really had any problems with cranking (even without the heater). The lowest it's been here lately in Utah is around 5 degrees F. I'm sure it's a lot different when it's -40. The heater I installed did not have a pump. The unit does have a thermostat but I didn't want to...
  6. C

heater control valve dilema

Well, the piece I replaced 3 months ago is already leaking! Should I just purchase the part from the Motocraft since the one I got from the local parts store obviously is a POS?
  7. C

Expected lifespan of a 95 ex?

There are many threads on this. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168403&highlight=high-mileage My '96 Explorer also has 140K+ and is a "Baby" compared to some on this board.
  8. C

Your Favorite All Weather Tires!!

Here's my 2 cents. Most 'all weather' tires are not truly an all season tire if you consider snow & ice as part of the weather in one of the seasons. Now if you're one of those Florida and California 'all weather' than your fine, but for some of us that actually get ALL 4 seasons, we do have...
  9. C

Well, I've completed installing the lower radiator heater. I tested it and it seems to work just fine. I was hoping it would be HOT enough for the heater to be warm when I start it up in the morning but I guess that's not really the purpose. It does do a good job keeping the engine warm enough...
  10. C

Center armrest vinyl shot...replacement?

My wife did the same thing and bought 1/2 a yard of some grey vinyl and re-did my center armrest. Looks new. Color is a bit off but it's better then a rip.
  11. C

I read the other post and it really isn't a bad idea to just install a new lower radiator hose all together. I might as well since the one that's there is most likely the original one. This way I can cut the new hose to size inside where it's warm, install the heater, then remove the old hose...
  12. C

What anti-freeze mix (i.e. 50/50) should you use for extreme cold? I heard a maximum of 70% or should a mixture of 50/50 OK?
  13. C

Oil drain plug

I had the same concerns initially but most of the folks who use it, including me place a small tie-wrap to prevent that from happening. We just simply cut the tie-wrap off when changing the oil and replace it with a new tie-wrap.
  14. C

Oil drain plug

I agree with Al. I also have a fumoto valve and it makes oil change a lot cleaner. No more digging in the oil pan to retrieve the drain plug ;-)
  15. C

I purchased it from Checker Auto parts. It's rated at 600W. Here is the same unit selling on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kats-Engine-Heater-for-LOWER-RADIATOR-HOSE-14600_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46098QQihZ020QQitemZ300047201512
  16. C

I was initially going to get the frost plug type installed but for me, was cost prohibitive since I don't have the tools to do it myself (and the dealer charging $400). I just bought the lower radiator heater for $24 and will perform the install myself once it gets a bit warmer (20s right now).
  17. C

I called the Ford dealer and they said it would cost $400 to install the freeze plug heater because of location they recommend installing it. They said they would need to take out the alternator to get to it and it will take 4 hours. I'm contemplating now to just install the lower radiator...
  18. C

Rear AC/Heat works on every speed but low (1)

I'm with you, I'm guessing the problem is with the resistor pack.
  19. C

Anyone have or recommend an engine block heater for the Explorer. I'm heading to Alaska and need to get one installed. I've looked and see that they have a frost plug type, a lower radiator, a magnetic type that sticks to the oil pan, and even a dip-stick heater. I'm looking more for...
  20. C

How to replace upper intake manifold gaskets

Good work
  21. C

Someone who gets me a couple wiring diagrams gets a.....

Send me your e-mail and I'll send you a snapshot
  22. C

No High Beam Function

I thought I posted the schematic already. It's on this post: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167853&highlight=headlamps
  23. C

KKM intake vs K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit

The price on the KKM was right for me. I've had it for 7 years now and IMO is worth every penny. Now, if I was in CA it might be worth investing in the K&N since it is legal there as mentioned.
  24. C

No High Beam Function

I'd guess it is your multi-function switch as well. Let me know if you need a schematic diagram of the headlight function as I own the repair CD for the 96 models.
  25. C

Power Steering

I'm experiencing similar trouble but mine is more inconsistent feel on the steering. I don't know if this is a cause of air in the lines. I tried steering all the way on both directions. It goes away sometimes but will appear again especially when cold. Any ideas?
Back