Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Spotlight removal help

Pictures from inside/outside? I've taken out 2 without any issues.......lots of screws/set screws. You going to fill the hole and just put a new pillar cover on? Makes for a quick transformation.
  2. M

SRS light on after swapping seats

no.....there's a bladder sensor that determines if someone is in the passenger seat (engage/disengage passenger airbags). It's in the bottom (butt) portion of the seat. I can't ever seem to post pics here.....an ebay search for the following will show you what they look like "2016 Ford...
  3. M

It's been like 4 years since I did the swap on my 16 so some details are a bit vague - here's what I recall: Sounds like you've done most of the swap correctly - donor seats while leaving the PIU pretensioners (good, no accident) in place. I believe these are along the floor at the pillar...
  4. M

What seats did you swap in - all or rear only? Make, model, year of donor? Also, was the donor vehicle in an airbag deployed accident? If yes, which airbags in the donor vehicle deployed and have you confirmed the seat pretensioners are good and not blown?
  5. M

Newbie to PIU life (2015 PIU), looking for carpet.

my donor car was a 14 - Ford reworked the left footwell to give more room in 16+ so the molded carpet has a roughly 2 inch air gap behind it. Unfortunately, that means that whenever you put your foot down and press on that gap, it pulls the carpet away from the door side trim. There are other...
  6. M

USB port question…

HC3Z-19A387-E would be the direct replacement/upgrade. There is even an option for USB/USB C. If you have an earlier console, in the front compartment there is likely a SD card slot/inputs - this module would pop out via retaining clips and you clip the new one in. Wiring off the (numerous)...
  7. M

Newbie to PIU life (2015 PIU), looking for carpet.

Not true. There is a change to carpet at the left foot well for vehicles 2016 and up. Ask me how I know :)
  8. M

Limited seats in a piu 2015

if you have limited seats, they're almost 100% likely to have a memory drivers seat. you'll need to rewire the driver seat, bypass the memory module to return to straight electric/switch, and then wire in a manual toggle switch somewhere if you want to make the cooling fans work.
  9. M

2016-18 Explorer PIU Key Fob Programming

Thanks!!! At the 2016+ conversion from the 2015- it seemed likely that they'd use some FOB in some other vehicle that followed the PIU logic and could be made to work. Odd that they'd develop a PIU only option when they had/have so many other existing options to choose from.
  10. M

2016-18 Explorer PIU Key Fob Programming

A related question - 6 years in, has anyone found an integrated key that uses the programming required for the 2016+ PIU? I'd happily buy a key/pay for IDS programming to get rid of the 1995 key fob :)
  11. M

Where does this part go??

Don't quote me - it's been quite awhile since I replaced the radiator on my 16 (that's another story), but it's familiar. Does the molded portion fit into the radiator on the bottom? I believe it would be closing any gap around the radiator so that air is only directed through the...
  12. M

Seat Swap

yes. generally, a salvage vehicle has been in a wreck and the safety restraint system will 1) log a collision/safety restraint code - can usually be cleared in forscan and 2) blow the pretensioner. They're basically little one time use explosives so you'd want to unbolt the good one from your...
  13. M

Seat Swap

I would just depin the seat connector and relocate the pins to the correct location. The seat harness actually disengage/repin really well. I didn't run into a problem with any position sensors using a pre16 seat into a 16 vehicle, but can't recall if I swapped the sensor over to the non PIU...
  14. M

Any options to replace police-style dome lights?

yep.....look for the 1994 era ford explorer dome light in black. other ford's may have used the same one. it does require a bit of DIY and wiring from the door/dash if you want them to come on with the doors opening, but it covers the entire hole left from the PIU red light...
  15. M

front climate control buttons not working

Yes, the passenger compartment main fuse box is above where your left foot would rest. You have to practically be laying upside down to get to it. Although, I do not believe you have the issue that the prior poster (and me, before that) experienced. The issue we addressed above is only if...
  16. M

Installing Setina PB5 on a 2017 Ford Explorer (CIVILIAN)

Yea, that's why I asked if the PB5 is external only. So where does the pb5 hook into the body outside of the push? I do see marketing materials showing the pb5 used on 2016+ models with b/r fog wigwags so I assume it can be done.
  17. M

Seat Swap

do you have the actual error codes? Did you install the pretensioners from your PIU onto the donor seats? If not, possible that those were blown on the donor seats during the impact that totalled that vehicle. Also, in Forscan you can set/calibrate seat position - that may be your seat...
  18. M

Installing Setina PB5 on a 2017 Ford Explorer (CIVILIAN)

So the issue is that the fog light (which is mostly on the right side of this video and is an off white colour), when trying to put the bumper back on it hits the newly placed black brackets (on the left/center side of the video). So then it's stuck in this limbo forever, unless I find the new...
  19. M

Replacing front seats

Sounds like so much work though, Peter :) What year did your seats come from? I had the airbag light as well, could be that you need a recalibration in Forscan or, potentially, a sensor incompatibility in year. If you run into any problems, I just finished my seat swap and heated seat...
  20. M

Replacing front seats

Just did mine.....used $8 switches from amazon and installed a block off plate where the shifter had been. A couple holes in the plate and voila!
  21. M

New member...ting/pop/click noise-front half shaft 2015 Explorer Sport

Well, no chance that they'll cover a repair out of warranty, but you could ask your mechanic to quote the replacement and get you a used one from a junk yard (low mile and WITH a drain plug). Should be a fraction of the price.
  22. M

Aftermarket Headunit Options?

check out the upgrade video from 4dtech. it does a good job of showing the connectors and what they do. It should show you what all is there in a 4" sync system so you can compare
  23. M

Wiring Connector for Center Console

This was incredibly helpful! I believe your R/B are actually R/S which would be the Run/Start (ignition initiated) designation (at least in my upfitters guide). I used these to run my hardwired dashcam and it only comes on with ignition. To add for any future help - I did have to tap the...
  24. M

New 2018 PIU

To close this out - bought another 2016 passenger seat and pulled the seat sensor and then transferred it into the 2013 leather seat (you can do this from the bottom without removing the cover and reinstalling - the two front push pins are hard to get in and out but changing how your seat is...
  25. M

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

Really interesting idea Eric! How did you affix the stacked/shaped final product to the console? Did you use the clip in retainer?
Back