Replacing front seats

Dre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 FPIU
I'm about to attempt a replacement of the front seats in my PIU - got a set of nice, leather, heated seats from a scrap yard. Have a question for all the guys that done it already - how did you hook up and where did you mount the switches for the heaters? I have no issue finding power as there is plenty in center console but switches and wiring... hmmm.

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just did mine.....used $8 switches from amazon and installed a block off plate where the shifter had been. A couple holes in the plate and voila!

Just did mine.....used $8 switches from amazon and installed a block off plate where the shifter had been. A couple holes in the plate and voila!
A picture may be helpful. ;)

yeah, that would be helpful - also, as I did get both seats with piece of harness attached I was able to put the missing wires into the plug and wire power passenger seat to one of the "Police" feeds in the center console.

I did come up with an "Air Bag" light after all - even though I disconnected battery while replacing seats. Hope ForScan will help me locate the broken link

A picture may be helpful. ;)

Sounds like so much work though, Peter :)

What year did your seats come from? I had the airbag light as well, could be that you need a recalibration in Forscan or, potentially, a sensor incompatibility in year.
If you run into any problems, I just finished my seat swap and heated seat wiring within the last couple weeks so it's still fresh if you have questions.

I have not been able to look into that yet - still debating over which heated seat switch to buy. I'm gonna have to take a look at the plug and socket an the driver seat again, passenger seat had extra four wires in the piece of wiring that was still attached to the plug (they just cut it. I incorporated those four wires into the original car wiring - connected power to the thick wire so the seat works, I understand one is for heated seat system but then I'm left with two addition wires that might be used for sensors? Will also look at wire colors on both sides of the plug - they might of changed wire location year to year.

Curious how your seat swap is going? I have a 2015 PIU and I'm picking up a drivers and passenger seat from a 2016 explorer sport tomorrow. Pictures would be nice ;)

Curious how your seat swap is going? I have a 2015 PIU and I'm picking up a drivers and passenger seat from a 2016 explorer sport tomorrow. Pictures would be nice ;)
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I know some Sport seats had the red stitching. I don't know if the 2016 model had the same or not. Something to keep in mind if you will be looking for a front console at some point.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I know some Sport seats had the red stitching. I don't know if the 2016 model had the same or not. Something to keep in mind if you will be looking for a front console at some point.

Peter
Thanks, this forum has been very helpful! I actually just finished up making a center console out of wood today 😅

console.jpg

I've got a bigger problem that I'm facing right now with possible replacement of the front subframe and steering gear and have actually postponed any other problem solving for now.
The seats are in, power passenger connected - both work great - I did get an AirBag light come up and have not connected seat heaters yet so... all ahead of me

How did your swap go on the 2015 PIU? I just joined the forum and doing the same thing. I was able to plug the drivers seat in but it won’t work. There is power in the harness plug and it seats fine but won’t function at all.
Did you run into this or am I a one off

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
In your other post you mentioned that the seats you are installing are from a Sport. Those seats likely have more functions than the ones in the PIU so they could have a different wiring setup.

Peter

Just FYI - I did replace the seats, plugged them in and connected heat. Airbag light went out after reset. All good. If you have specific questions please let me know.

Just FYI - I did replace the seats, plugged them in and connected heat. Airbag light went out after reset. All good. If you have specific questions please let me know.
what did you end up wiring in on the pass seat to power it up? thanks

So I just got a leather seat I think it's the 6way adjustable, has manual lumbar and reclining. Anyway of course the piu doesn't have power going to the seat and I'm not sure which of these wires is hot and ground. I'll attach some images of the plug that came with the new seat. I already found a power source from one of the police console connectors just need to know where to wire it on the connector. Having trouble finding/reading the wiring diagrams I can find online. The yellow/red and grey/blue do not exist on my current seat connector so I'm pretty sure that's where it's going to go just don't know which is which.

Thanks everyone.

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg

That’s weird. My 17 had the right harness for the 4 way adjustable cloth seats i picked up.

That’s weird. My 17 had the right harness for the 4 way adjustable cloth seats i picked up.
Yeah I put the new seat plugged it and it had no power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back