Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

1993 ford explorer bogging down, transmission noise?

The EEC-IV relies heavily on the MAF signal. They do not run well at all without a maf signal. At best it is a limp home. Torque converter lockup is inhibited and it runs very rich/low power. If you are getting the MAF code, fix that first. Before replacing it, make sure the intake tube from...
  2. T

Solved Fuel pressure problem.

Is the pump being powered and do you have fuel pressure WHILE cranking? It sounds like the pump is just turning off. The computer needs to know the engine is cranking to turn the fuel pump on. If you have a bad crank signal or similar input problem, the computer will do the 2 second prime but...
  3. T

Need expert advice with 1994 (MB) PCM pinout and o2 sensor troubleshooting

You need to take a step back and stop loading the parts cannon with bigger and bigger items. Tossing an entire harness at it is going to be a hell of a lot of work and may not even fix the problem or create new ones. The first thing I would check is your ground integrity. It looks like you have...
  4. T

2nd Generation Ford Explorer Message Center (DIC) tear down

Rather than trying to find some ford part you could remove a green filter from, I would get a Rosco Cinegel swatchbook Rosco Cinegel 1.5 This is a big stack of samples of color and correction gels commonly used in film & tv production. Get the gauge display you want to use and start playing with...
  5. T

The temp/compass display in mine is definitely a VFD. I added it; can't remember if it came out of a 1st gen limited or a 2nd gen. I think there was some internal design revisions on the dome light switches and sockets but they were widely cross-compatible physically and electrically. I still...
  6. T

VFD is quite common in automotive applications. It combines high brightness and good sunlight readability with the ability to dim and be pleasant for night viewing as well. High brightness LED, especially in a display format, didn't exist in the 90's. LCD displays of the era could be used but...
  7. T

The display is a vacuum fluorescent type and works kinda like a CRT. The big caps, transformer, and power transistor below the display are a high voltage power supply needed to run the display. The whole thing is a well sealed assembly with the air vacuumed out. It's unlikely you're going to...
  8. T

97 5.0 AWD - non-start issue - Dealer soldered fuse 13 in place ???

There is a really disturbing lack of diagnostic ability and repair skill being displayed here by the dealer. It sounds like at this point the damage has been done to the fuse box regardless if it was the original problem or not. The best practical repair for this is simply to get a inline fuse...
  9. T

1st Gen 4wd to 95-97 Ranger Brake Swap Info/Parts List

I used the same master. Did not touch anything not shown here. Pedal only got better after the upgrade. Are your rears bled fully? Any leaks on the lines? Is the bleeder at the top of the caliper? (I think it might be possible to reverse the calipers and get the bleeder on both sides on the...
  10. T

Don't know what to get... battery related.

This is probably better information than I was working with.... I didn't realize they had added another section to the gold line. It appears they are just confusing things with a bunch of different product lines and variations. So some of the Golds are AGM.
  11. T

The current DieHard Gold is AGM now as well, but a lesser build than the Platniums. I'm not exactly sure who the manufacturer is. That would explain the size difference. Gotta love the warranty though.
  12. T

Plus when your hunting buddies get pissed off, it can survive being shot... at least if we believe the marketing. I wonder how many times they tried before they got one that worked? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7bOF94Iq70 EDIT: "Just look more like a scientist.... not an axe murderer..."...
  13. T

I've got one of these, two of them in the family. Great in my Explorer and my dad's Bronco with the 5.0. I left my parking lights on for half a day one time, it was low but it still cranked it over. Plus no acid seepage, no spillage, just keeps working great. I've also got two Optima Red...
  14. T

Wife's Daily Driver need help ASAP please

When you try to restart it after it dies, does the check engine light come on with the key on before you try to crank it indicating power to the EEC? The EEC relay needs to work too. If it's not powering on the EEC, then there is no trigger for the fuel pump relay either. If that's...
  15. T

fan clutch removal and replacement for no clutch

If it's not working correctly, and never did, don't be afraid to suspect that it's just defective or the wrong part. Close enough doesn't work that well with these fan clutches. I wouldn't play with it lest they refuse to return/exchange it saying that you broke it. You shouldn't have to adjust...
  16. T

Sounds like a good plan. I've put some mileage on mine since the swap, and it has been nothing but a huge improvement. Better pedal feel, better stopping power, no weird noises from the front end. I have had occasion to panic stop (that do not walk sign is there for a reason...) and the ABS...
  17. T

1982 Fleetwood Jamboree. 460/c6

:ttiwwp: That said, I've never worked on RV's before either :p:but I will make a few comments anyways because its really just a bunch of car/truck/bus parts with some oddities added for your fun and pleasure. In general, storage is hell for vehicles. Mice eat the wires, brakes rust, tires...
  18. T

Seat material & mirror glass

The front seats are symmetrical in terms of the fabric since they don't have armrests attached. You could probably go to the junkyard and take the fabric cover off a passenger side seat (which usually has less wear) and put it on your driver's seat. I haven't actually tried this but I see no...
  19. T

You might want to consider what the cost of getting them from RockAuto with 1 or 2 day shipping is. They will probably beat the parts store at least in time to arrive. You can also try Amazon, which has slightly higher prices (at least on the ball joints but not on everything) but if you have...
  20. T

:eek: The price difference for the upper makes no sense, when the price for the lower is really comparable to RockAuto when you consider shipping. But this is the kind of stuff I have come to expect from parts stores. :rolleyes: I have noticed that various parts for my older vehicles are...
  21. T

I have always used Moog parts and had no problems. I haven't tried any of the other brands myself. Looking at RockAuto there seems to be the cheap ~$10 and expensive ~$30 parts, as well as some midway ~$20 ones. I wouldn't even look at the cheap ones, and at ~$20, why not get the ~$30 ones...
  22. T

Driver's side only brake light problem

All the brake light wiring goes through the multifunction switch, and each side is seperate. Wiggle the lever around and see if the problem goes away (or can be replicated). Real basically, there is only one filament for stop/turn, when you turn the blinker on it breaks the connection to the...
  23. T

12pt 6mm stripped

Funny to see a thread about this problem as I've been messing with these little evil screws quite a bit recently. I spent a couple days with my truck on stands getting that socket the first time I needed one, you have to wonder what they were thinking when they used those screws. :dunno: When...
  24. T

That's what I get for making posts at 1:30am... fixed with my apologies. The cost was quite high mainly because I pretty much had to buy new everything except the knuckles. If you can get less-rusty donor parts you won't have to buy stuff like the dust shields for $120. That and the ABS...
  25. In progress...

In progress...

Back