Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Wheel Hub Bearing Question

thanks guys I replaced the hub with a Timken from Autozone. It was $168 bucks after tax. I heard Timken was a good brand so thats what I went with and it was the best price I could find in the time I had to look. I know they're cheaper on ebay, but after you pay shipping charges it really...
  2. B

Wheel Hub Bearing Question

I think I might have a bad hub on the passenger side. It is a ton looser and easier to turn and sounds like it is grinding when you rotate it. I was wanting if that is a sign of a bad hub other then pushing and pulling on the tire to feel if it is loose. I believe the grinding sound that the...
  3. B

Control arm / Ball joint replacement on a 1998 4.0 explorer AWD

Oh yeah count the number of threads on the adjuster bolt or mark it somehow so you know how far it screwed up in to the Torsion Bar
  4. B

Control arm / Ball joint replacement on a 1998 4.0 explorer AWD

I am in the process of doing this procedure myself on a 1998 explorer awd V8. I removed my entire lower control arm because I am replacing the bushings, but you shouldn't need to do that to just replace the ball joint. If you don't remove the control arm you will probably want to go ahead and...
  5. B

What kind of grease/lubricant to use in ball joints/tie rods???

I am replacing all my ball joints and outer tie rods on my 98 explorer AWD V8. Right now the only grease I have is a Super Tech Multi Purpose grease I got at Walmart for a $1. I am not sure if that is the correct grease to be using. So I need to know: What kind of grease should I get and...
  6. B

98 Explorer: Torsion Bars, Control Arms, Bushings and Ball Joints

? Where can I get new lower control arms? I haven't been able to find any parts store that carry a lower control arm. Why is it dangerous to just replace the bushings in the lower control arm?
  7. B

How to: Torsion Bar Removal and Installation FMC Spec's

question When you say "CAUTION: The torsion bar adjustment bolt is coated with dry adhesive and must be replaced if it is backed off or removed. Failure to do so can cause the adjustment bolt to loosen during operation and cause a loss of vehicle alignment." Does that mean replace the...
  8. B

98 Explorer: Torsion Bars, Control Arms, Bushings and Ball Joints

I am getting ready to replace both upper control arms, both upper ball joints, and both lower ball joints, and the bushings in the lower and upper control arms. This is all being done in my old 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD. I have some questions about it. I have been reading about torsion...
Back