Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Stalling at stops due to transmission not disengaging.

TomCat: I believe that my stalling problem on my Explorer is the same as yours. So, I have a few questions: 1. The torque control solenoid (TCC) is in the transmission, right? 2. Do you have any idea what the part # is on a 5R55E tranny, 2002 Explorer sport; or can you direct me to...
  2. F

replacing blower motor help

Sounds to me like the replacement motor was not centered properly; or the cage slid off the spindle.
  3. F

Whirring Sound from Tranny

It's not worsened in the past month (5000 miles). Anyone else?
  4. F

On my 2002 Explorer Sport, I seem to have a humming-whirring sounds afer the first gear. On jack stands, I put it in gear. In 1st gear, nothing. It shifts into 2nd at about 15 mph, and then there's a noticable whirring sound and it continues as the speed increases. The 1st to 2nd shift is...
  5. F

On my 2002 Explorer Sport, I seem to have a humming-whirring sounds afer the first gear. On jack stands, I put it in gear. In 1st gear, nothing. It shifts into 2nd at about 15 mph, and then there's a noticable whirring sound and it continues as the speed increases. The 1st to 2nd shift is...
  6. F

Electrical Issues: Temp & direction console

Hello folks! My 2002 Explorer Sport has two annoying issues that I would like to resolve: 1. The overhead temperature/direction console is not working; I used to be able to hit it to make it work, now it rarely works. And ideas what the problem might be? It must be getting power but...
  7. F

Fuel filter replacement help

Well, it's good to see how others do it. Dang, I wish I knew to use that piece of plastic to maek the tool work better.
  8. F

Fuel filter replacement help

Each fuel line has those white/cream-colored plastic clips that must be pried or cut off from the line ends (visible in your photo). The lines should pop off; you may have to use those circular tools after pushing the line away from the filter. I think that the lines should come right off...
  9. F

small radiator hose under throttle body

Are you referring to the slightly angled one that goes into the water pump? If so, you can cut it out by slicing it horizonatlly, then prying the two halves off one at a time. THEN, the new one is a beeyaaach to get on, but with a bit of WD40, and some gentle pushing, you can get the new...
  10. F

2002 Sport front Driveaxle seal question

Bump Any ideas folks????
  11. F

2002 Sport front Driveaxle seal question

My 02 Sport is leaking differential fluid on the right front side, where the CV knuckle meets the axle tube. How difficult is this job, and any advice on doing it without too many mistakes? The axle will pop out of the differential, won't it?
  12. F

No More Ford/Motorcraft Oil Filters & Oil at Wal Mart???

I understand Motorcraft/Ford will no longer supply mass retailers like Wal Mart--oil & oil filters in particular. Such products will only be available from the Ford shop. Has anyone else heard this?
  13. F

Completed first pan drop and tranny flush!!! But have another question

When you "pressed" the filter into place, did it stay put WITHOUT using the bolt? In any case, I think that when you tightened the bolt, it would have pressed the seals/o-rings into place.
  14. F

Oil sending unit location

"the oil gauge reads no pressure. I've been told to start with the sending unit. Does this sound right to you guys?" That's a reasonable place to start. My oil gauge was fluttering (but not that bad), so I replaced the sending unit. It was rather inexpensive, and solved the problem. I...
  15. F

Oil sending unit location

I believe it's towards the front of the motor, on the driver's side, up about 1/2 way on the motor. It's tough to locate without a good light. I think that I had to search around from the top with a drop light to get the proper angle to see the dang thing. It's best found using daylight with...
  16. F

Bogging Down Sound in Overdrive Question

I just got this Explorer, so I doubt the trans fluid has been changed. I did check the trans dip stick and the level was slightly below the cross-hatched area (running, hot, in park). I have not put anymore in because I'm thinking of changing it anyway. Do you think the shudder (that's a...
  17. F

Bogging Down Sound in Overdrive Question

I recently got this 2002 Sport (4 L; SOHC). When cruising down the road in overdrive, and I go up a hill, the engine accelerates to try to maintain speed. While doing so, it kinda groans and there's a slight vibration in the steering wheel. Once it's back to cruise speed, it's not noticeable...
  18. F

Help! I stripped something

Why do you need to unscrew the drain plug? Just leave it in, and pull the lower hose to drain the radiator.
  19. F

Can I use 80w 90 instead of 75w 140???

Ford calls for the synthetic 75W140 WITH 4 oz of the friction modifier in the rear diffy. "with most synthetic gear lubes you usually don't need to add the friction modifier because the synthetic lube already has the components in it" So why does Ford call for the SYNTHETIC 75W140 WITH the...
  20. F

Removing 4.0 L from '98 SOHC

Thanks for the info. Here's the deal: In Sept, Ford put a new motor in my 1998 Explorer Sport (no charge) In Nov, I total the Explorer, EXCEPT the motor is fine. I was thinking of buying a used Explorer, switch motors, and then have the insurance company to take back the totaled...
  21. F

Removing 4.0 L from '98 SOHC

Anyone with experience removing the 4 L SOHC from a 98 Explorer Sport? (or from any explorer for that matter)? Remove hood I suppose Special tools? Difficult/hidden wire disconnections? Remove fan blade? Remove radiator shroud & radiator? Hidden bolts to transmission? need to support...
  22. F

Starting problems for my 99 sport

"Rough idle when it is cold is also an indication of an intake manifold leak. The SOHC engines were notorious for the O-Rings going bad. Ford extended the warranty. Search for 00M12 for more info. Also gets lumped along with the bad cam tensioners too - 01M01." I agree--it's the lower...
  23. F

Idle Problem when Stopped

1. it may be your IAC (idle air control valve) 2. you may have valve damage from a loose cam shaft tensioner, which should be be covered under the extended warranty for the cam shaft tensioner..
  24. F

Driveline hum?!?

An tire outta balance? Just a suggestion.
  25. F

Driving withOUT swaybar link?

My swaybar-lower carriage stabilizer linkage bolt broke--I drove it anyway for a while. Can I do permanent damage by driving that way? I plan to fix it, I just haven't been able to get to it yet.
Back