• Register Today It's free!

Whirring Sound from Tranny

Fred Garvin

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
On my 2002 Explorer Sport, I seem to have a humming-whirring sounds afer the first gear.

On jack stands, I put it in gear. In 1st gear, nothing. It shifts into 2nd at about 15 mph, and then there's a noticable whirring sound and it continues as the speed increases. The 1st to 2nd shift is just SLIGHTLY rough, but the rest of the shifts are fine.

--acceleration is fine
--mileage is fine
--4WD engage/disengage is fine
--No whirring sound in reverse.
--no check engine lights
--no noise while idling in park or neutral

I'm quite sure the noise is coming from the transmission. I first noticed it cruising down the road, but it's not REAL loud. I cannot say for sure that it occurs at 60 mph since there's so much other noise, but Ican barely hear it at 20-30-40 mph.

I plan to put some miracle fixin' Bars leak in the transmission soon.

Any ideas folks???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mate

I've got the same problem and had it for about 8 months. And I've had no luck with finding a problem, shy of taking it in for an overhaul

It's not worsened in the past month (5000 miles).

Anyone else?

I get a similar sound too, though 1st and 2nd but only when cold.
Once Im at the end of my street, its gone.

Its not the tranny. Its the rear diff. my 02 explorer xlt does the same thing. My mechanic said it was the gears in the diff. Mine only does it at freeway speed. Just keep an ear on it. if it worsens get it looked at.

Back