Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

OEM stereo unit gone bad?

It's an overheated board in your display this web site sells the instructions to fix it yourself or they also sell a board swap out to get it fixed. I did the swap out and mine had worked flawlessly ever since. http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/ $19.99 for the DIY instructions and it is well...
  2. F

98 Explorer with a flashing overdrive light.

My O/D light started flashing and I kept driving it and about a week later I was sitting on the side of the road broke down and $2,200 dollars and a new Transmission later I wish I had gotten it checked instead of driving it with the light flashing :(
  3. F

Plastic Pieces on the oil filter, Please Help

When you state "My oil pressure is good" are you referring to the Dummy Gage on your dash? Because that is merely an "ON/OFF" gauge it is not actually showing oil pressure. If there is some pressure be it 10, 20, 30 PSI it shows ON if it drops below a certain threshold it shows OFF or NO oil...
  4. F

Cam chain tensioners.

If you have a Advance Auto in FL try them they rent a ton of specialty tools and I would bet they have it.
  5. F

Uggggh Timing Chain Tensioners

The only part I have found is this one... It was broken into about 5 or 6 pieces and also found the thin metal "Spring" piece all the in the oil pan. So I suppose this is the only piece that has broken.
  6. F

Could Seafoam do this???

well I do know that just shy of 200,000 miles I pulled the oil pan off and wiped with a paper towel and she looked almost brand new I figured with that many miles it would be all gunked up. And that was with 20,000 miles between an oil change last year LOL. How I forgot to change my oil I'll...
  7. F

Well dropped the oil pan and sure enough there is the plastic pieces cleaned them out cleaned the oil pan up (I must say with just shy of 200,000 miles I figured it would be pretty gunked up but all it took was a quick wipe with a paper towel). My dad said it looked like it came from a vehicle...
  8. F

OK so I have pretty much determined that it is my timing chain causing my problems here is my dilemma....... Mine didn't do the whole rattling at startup deal it just BAM started one morning while warming the truck up in single digit temps. Mine is BACKWARDS from everyone else's It is...
  9. F

I'm STUMPED on this one???? Any ideas???

Nope....... Broken timing chain guides :(
  10. F

Could Seafoam do this???

Well it seems I have the broken chain tensioner and the plastic had clogged the oil pickup :( Although after the Sea Foam the thing was running beautifully except for the timing chain rattle.
  11. F

Could Seafoam do this???

After my problems discussed here: Here I decided to use some Sea Foam to see of it would help. I warmed up the Exploder and let the 1/3 can of Sea Foam suck into the brake vacuum line explained on a video I found on this site. I then added 1/3 can to the engine oil and the other 1/3 can into...
  12. F

Shadetree mechanic down the street said sounds like I have a bent/broken rocker arm
  13. F

Plus according to my on board computer my gas mileage was went from and average of 13.8 MPG down to 10.2 MPG
  14. F

Yeah at times I am thinking exhaust leak but would an exhaust leak cause it to misfire and miss when idling. Once driving it seems normal like it is not missing at all.
  15. F

OK here it is running..... What do you think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr7XlotqIIk
  16. F

A little. I also notice it looks like the oil may be kind of thin BUT when I changed the oil a few weeks ago I mistakenly put in 10W-30 and I think it calls for 5W-30 doesn't it??
  17. F

Also a smell like something is getting very hot coming from truck after I shut it off and get out I can smell it. Like maybe a hot Cat Converter??????????
  18. F

Went back out and messed with it some more at almost exactly 2500 RPM the noise almost goes away???? Checked coolant it is filled to the top as it has been for over 2 years without any loss whatsoever. Spark plug had been in for a LOOONG time and you could tell, the electrode had deteriorated...
  19. F

No it def not the fuel filter as I get plenty of acceleration and power I have changed the plugs-No change. The wires are fine all plugs have lightning bolts coming off of them LOL. So I have plenty of fire going to all 6 cylinders and fuel/pressure loss is not a problem as I still have plenty...
  20. F

What about the rattling sound? could that possibly maybe be a broken spring or something? Or is it just a result of the misfire?
  21. F

4.0 SOHC, I'll try the plugs this weekend as it will be the first chance I get for some shop time. No and No LOL
  22. F

So it could be getting fire to the plug but just not enough to fire the cylinder completely???? Because I am pretty sure all the plugs are firing as each time I take a plug wire loose at the coil the engine stalls. All 6 of them do this meaning all 6 are firing and as I take one loose it loses...
  23. F

OK 2 days ago in weather about 15 degrees as I was warming up my 98 Exploder the check engine light came on and then all of the sudden it starts missing and sputtering. I immediately thought BAD GAS!!! so I drove on to work sputtering and knocking. As I am driving to work (7 miles) the check...
  24. F

i want to clean under my hood etc few questions

Yeah, I just take mine to the car wash spray it down with Simple Green and blast away with the pressure gun while the engine is running. Done this probably 50 times and have never had a problem at all.
  25. F

No Auto 4X4 ABS Light on. Speed sensor???

Anyone else have any ideas?
Back