Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

How many have ATF coolers?

:p I have 91.000k on my 93 and still have the original trans. I bought mine second hand at 28,000k. It came equipped with the tranny cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I think that this has done a great deal to extend the life of the trans. A trans shop told me recently that there...
  2. 9

Which brand of tires do you run

I have Goodyear Wrangler GSA's with 58,000 miles on them. This is the longest lasting set of tires that I have had. I had a Mustang GT before the Explorer and usually got 40 to 45,000 miles on a set of tires. I would get another 5 or 10,000 miles out of these tires if it wasn't for the tires...
  3. 9

Goodyear Serpentine Belt

If you have a Haines manual, it has the routing diagram in it. Chilton's probably does to. :)
  4. 9

Goodyear Serpentine Belt

:confused: If you install a Goodyear Serpentine Belt on your X, don't follow the routing diagram on the box, or you will spend half an hour trying to figure out why it does not fit. Follow the routing diagram under the hood in front of the radiator instead. :bounce:
  5. 9

BBK Throttle Body-Poor Kickdown Cause

What I noticed is that when I pushed back on the throttle cable spring plate, it wobbled to the left a little more than an 1/8 of an inch. Tightening the screw that holds the plate and spring assembly in kept it from wobbling, and now kickdown stays the same and throttle response is better. I...
  6. 9

BBK Throttle Body-Poor Kickdown Cause

:confused: I was wondering if anyone else with a BBK throttle body has experienced this problem. You install the BBK throttle body and get good throttle response, but later you start to get poor kickdown and throttle response. The cause could be, as I experienced, that the screw that holds in...
  7. 9

Granatelli MAS

I just had the Taylor plug wires installed and they work fine. Truckperformance.com has them for $47.00. About the MAS, you might look at the Proflow MAS, you can order them directly from pro-flow.com. They are less expensive than the Granatelli, about $238 for a chrome version, versus $315...
  8. 9

Militec - Good Product

BTW, I started using Militec in my Mustang 5.0 at 78,000 miles and used it until I sold it at 126,000, and it was still running strong. The engine never had any work done on it and never had blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. I now have 83,000 miles on my Explorer and hope to get 200,000 or...
  9. 9

Axle Codes - FYI

Axle Codes - Located on the driver's door Model Code Description Capacity Ratio Bronco II 42 Regular 2640 3.45 44 Regular 2640 3.73 47 Regular 2500 4.10 D2 Limited Slip 2500 3.45 D4 Limited Slip 2640 3.73 D7 Limited Slip 2500 4.10 Ranger 72 Regular 2200 3.08 74...
  10. 9

VIN - Vehicle Identification Numbers - FYI

VIN Decoding Chart Example VIN: 1FMDU34X6RUC10442 Digit Codes Meaning Description 1st 1 USA Country Of Origin 2 Canada 2nd F Ford Manufacturer 3rd C Basic Chassis Type of Vehicle D Incomplete Vehicle M Multipurpose Vehicle T Truck 4th A up to 3000 lbs...
  11. 9

Militec - Good Product

I posted this information because I felt that the product was a good product and worked. I also heard good comments about it from several mechanics, one who is my brother-in-law. I posted the info about ZMAX and Slick 50 because that is what I found after doing a search thru google.com. I...
  12. 9

Militec - Good Product

:rolleyes: What I ment was a 30 mpg increase per tankful of gas. which would be a 10 % increase considering I got 300 mpg previously. This was highway mileage, however, at constant speed. Around town mileage, I did not really notice a difference. Even without the increase in mileage, I felt...
  13. 9

Militec - Good Product

Has anyone ever heard of a product called Militec, which you use in the engine? I used this in my Mustang 5.0 several years back and noticed an immediate improvement from the time it was added to the oil. The rpm's increased by about 300 and the engine ran better with better acceleration. My...
  14. 9

Info about Slick 50 from FTC site

This is info about Slick 50 from the FTC site: You can find it at this link: Dead Link Removed You can also find it by doing a search through google.com FOR RELEASE: JULY 16, 1996 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- QUAKER STATE ADS FOR...
  15. 9

Info about ZMAX from FTC site

This is info about ZMAX from the FTC, you can find it at this link: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.htm You can also do a searcj through google.com For Release: February 1, 2001 FTC Sues Speedway Motorsports and Oil-Chem Subsidiary Performance Claims For zMax Auto Additives Are...
  16. 9

Has anyone used ZMAX?

I thought about trying ZMAX after seeing the same infomercial. However, I did a search through google.com and found out that the FTC has a suit against them for false advertising, and that ZMAX actually enhances corrosion of bearings. So, unless you would like to ruin your engine, I would not...
  17. 9

cold air for 92

xtrmdevildog Check out pro-flow. They have 70 and 75 mm MAS for Explorer's and they are calibrated for your vehicle. I received mine, but have not had a chance to install it yet. You can order a plastic 75 mm for $199 or a chrome one for $249. http://www.pro-flow.com/ :bounce:
  18. 9

Horrible mileage (around 10mpg)

I have a KKM and a Dynomax cat back system and I have not noticed any increase in fuel economy. I just got a Pro-flow MAS and hope to install it soon. I doubt if it will help improve my gas mileage, though. :bounce:
  19. 9

No problem. I hope that helps. This site is the greatest. I have gotten a lot of useful info here. I thought my Explorer was dead or in need of a trans rebuild from the way it was running. I just hope that my cats have not gone bad from driving it with the bad FPR, but after replacing the...
  20. 9

In reply to jason_omer and DarkFox1: I would try replacing the FPR and cleaning the MAS as described under Explorer Tips on the home page. I had been getting 240 miles a tankful since I have had this truck. After cleaning the MAS, I now get about 260 miles a tankfull. I just replaced the...
  21. 9

Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator

It wasn't too bad. It took longer than I thought, though. It was a pain to remove and replace the 8mm bolts that hold it in. There is so little clearance because of all the hoses. I had to cut off the radiator hose and get a replacement because I could not get it off. The mechanic...
  22. 9

Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator

I have a 93 XLT that I bought four years ago and has been suffering from somewhat sluggish performance for the last couple of years. I added a KKM Tru Rev kit which helped, and a BBK 66 mm throttle body which helped more. Recently, the performance started to get worse with lack of acceleration...
  23. 9

"A4LD X's when did your tranny go?

VairKing: You may want to do a search under vacuum modulator. That may be why your trans won't shift into overdrive.
Back