Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

wondering about towing

I have an 03 XLT that I have used to haul a 25' trailer as well as a car trailer and a boat. The only issue I had was the rear pinion seal went out halfway between KC and the White River in Arkanas. Pain in the a$$ but we made it there, home and in 30 minutes at the cost of about 8 dollars the...
  2. M

05 explorer loud humming noise while driving

I have been tossing that idea around as well. I had my rear diff seal blow out on me at the beginning of the year. I was hauling a boat to Arkansas when it happened. I had read a post about front diff bearings going out. As hunting season is upon me that check will have to wait.
  3. M

Growling??

Thanks for the tip! I will recheck the rear bearings and as cheap a fix as that is, and the fact I have 84k miles, I may go ahead and replace them. I would rather not fight the tire shop getting the tires replaced if it is being caused by something else.
  4. M

05 explorer loud humming noise while driving

Bump - Same issue:exp:
  5. M

Growling??

2003 XLT 4 Door 4x4 4.0L V6 Flex Work to date: New Rear Pinion Seal New Brakes @ all 4 corners. Purchased Full set of Dueler REVO2 tires. Issue: (Started Saturday 10/31/09) When driving around I hear a growling noise and can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel, through the...
  6. M

Good on/off road tire

I dont know what's worse Essex, the cell phone or intoxication. Sucks to be in your shoes, I know. Was without my explorer for almost 3 weeks. A lady in an f-150 OWI-ied me at a stop light 18 days after I bought the truck. Keep your head up, you'll get it back soon!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
  7. M

So the Stealership says.....

Mine is doing the same thing. Obvious drip and I am getting a slight noise/vibration in the front of the truck. I am going to change the seal out this weekend. That gets rid of the vibration I feel. See how it goes.
  8. M

Rear end fluid

Lucky he caught his early. One suggestion I did not see was to check your rear pinion seal. I was hauling a boat to Arkansas for some Trout time and half way there mine blew out. The boat and trailer are now protected for life with 80/90. (We may have even noticed a slight increase in speed on...
  9. M

Good on/off road tire

I just outfitted my '03 XLT with Bridgestone Duelers A/t Revo 2s. GReat tire. Low road noise, wet traction thus far has been SUPERB. Traction in mud, on gravel and rocks has been no issue either. Definitely worth taking a look at. Only had them on a month so we'll see what kind of life they...
  10. M

Opion on wires/plugs?!

Bosch Platinum 4s with Bosch plug wires. Have been debating on trying out those new Pulse plugs, but for 25$ per plug I am a little apprehensive.
  11. M

Lets hear it! Vote on raised letters in or out?

If I did not have to be on call I definately would go. Looks like that is going to be a blast. I think I may need to upgrade a few things on the stock XLT to hang with you guys anyway. ;) Appreciate the invite though. It is unfortunate that work cuts into my play time. Now the KS Rock Park...
  12. M

Lets hear it! Vote on raised letters in or out?

Overland Park here. Never heard of that place but we frequent Tuttle Creek and last weekend was spent on the dirtbikes out at Milford Lake ORV park. (oh yeah, Definately black out on the wheels. Unless you drive a white or silver truck. )
  13. M

new jeep

LMAO That is great. Also, considering that the governor kicks in at about 115MPH, the needle never even touched 140. Sounds like a tall tale to me.
  14. M

welder amps?

It would be nice to have a welder than ran on even 220. Mine runs off 3 phase 230/480 and now I have no where to use it. :(
  15. M

Shot Gun Rifle rack??

I am very familiar with both of those sites. The one I looked at in store at Cabela's was pretty cheap, at least in quality.
  16. M

Who here has a flex-fuel Explorer?

My 03 Explorer is an FFV as well. On E85 my biggest MPG loss is in town. On the highway The MPG only drops about 2 miles per gallon different. Could be driving style though too. I just filled up tonight at Casey's in Basehor, KS with their 89 octane (10% Ethanol) for 3.639 per gallon...
  17. M

The Dealership Treated Me Right . . . Did I Just Say That?

I had to do the same thing in my 03. May have been 4 and some change for a key that will unlock the doors. They wanted 85 dollars to hook my explorer up to a computer to give me the factory code for my keyless entry.
  18. M

Help Needed With Fog Light Wiring!!!

You're probable smarter than the average bear but I thought I would make a suggestion. From previous experience wirenuts and electrical tape is not suitable for this application. Wire crimps and shrink tube are in order to keep the connections from getting wet. I didn't do this at first and...
  19. M

Shot Gun Rifle rack??

If you have found one yet I would be interested what you have. I was also wanting one for my 03.
  20. M

03 Explorer - Battery Draining

I am not sure about the 02 but I know on my 03 it shuts the lights off after a certain amount of time so it does not kill the battery. I think it is 60 minutes. It sounds like the issue I had in my old 98 with the alternator. My connections were bad and the alternator was not charging the...
  21. M

2002 keyless entry label

This forum is great. Just when I think of a question to ask the answer is already here. I have a 2003 X and was wondering how to get the code for it. The dealership (Bob Allan Ford, OP, KS) said it would be 85 dollars and take half an hour to retrieve it for me on the computer...
  22. M

transmission fluid level check

Unfortunately for us Gen 3 owners we have an "enclosed" system. Which means you may have to become somewhat friendly with the local dealership. :exp:
  23. M

Keyless Entry

My 98 X XLT had the three button fob. My understanding was, as long as it is a Ford fob it could programmed. At least that is what I was told by the dealership and we all know how that goes.
  24. M

Cool Site

Welcome!:exp:
  25. M

What's the round thing on the roof of some mountaineers?

What a HUGE waste.... can think of a few other things I would rather spend 3k on. But I guess with gas prices and the mortgage trouble might as well have emenities in what you are going to have to live in.....
Back