Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Transfer Case, Mysterious Codes

'97 4.0 SOHC with the 44-05 transfer case is causing me to scratch my head. Codes related to the 4LO circuit pop up about twice a month for no apparent reason. Driver SWEARS she is not touching the auto-hi-low switch (always in auto). Codes are P1850 and P1854, both related to the contact plate...
  2. B

Oil Consumption

There are no external leaks at all. The tailpipe is clean. Haven't pulled the plugs yet. I just don't understand this thing using oil at high speeds, but nothing at low speeds.
  3. B

Oil Consumption

My '97 4.0 OHV engine uses about 1 quart every thousand miles if I do a lot of highway traveling, however, if I only travel around town, it does not use a drop. I can go a month of all in-town driving, and the oil level will not drop at all. Any thoughts?
  4. B

Low Coolant Level in Radiator - normal??

The mechanic you talked to was an idiot. The radiator should be plumb full at all times, hot or cold. The level is meant to change in the plastic bottle. If the bottle is not drawing down before the radiator, make sure you have a double seal cap, and make sure the hose between the rad and...
  5. B

help: 95 explorer tranny shifting problems

Mine did the exact same thing. It would not go into 2nd gear because of a broken band. This should be accompanied by a flashing OD light to alert you of the problem. I fixed mine myself. Parts were less than $200 for everything.
  6. B

2nd Gen Control Trac Transfer Case Wiring

Bad speed sensors aren't going to keep you from getting into 4LO. You have to be pretty much stopped, in neutral, and have the brake applied before it will even try.
  7. B

sohc 4.0 explorer timing issue

If you could post a copy of that for everyone to enjoy, that would be great.
  8. B

Cheapo 4.0 SOHC engine rebuild! Long story...

I wouldn't own a SOHC (I have an OHV), but a good friend has one that I may be called to work on someday. It's a '97 that is largely quiet, and from what I understand, has not had any updates. I really liked the idea of clamping down the cam to keep it from turning. You have a lot of...
  9. B

Cheapo 4.0 SOHC engine rebuild! Long story...

Great post, and good job. Congrats! You sound like a very resourceful person. I may have to go into a SOHC motor myself someday, and don't want to purchase the expensive tools. If I understand you correctly, with the #1 piston at TDC, you want the machined planes on the cam parallel with the...
  10. B

95 automatic trans issue

One thing to keep in mind about code readers is that the cheap ones will not read tranny codes. Having said that, if your OD light is not flashing, then you likely have no tranny codes.
  11. B

1996 auto trans to t-case adapter gasket

I got mine from Transmission Exchange in Portland, OR, phone number 1-800-776-1191. Part # is 1350-54. Or, just tell them what it is and they will find it no problem. Yes, you do need a gasket, since there is tranny fluid in the tailshaft holusing.
  12. B

95 automatic trans issue

How in the world can your rear-end be slipping...unless you're talking about your pants!
  13. B

Center Console

I recently purchased a '95 Sport with pretty much the standard no-frills interior. It has a center console between the seats without a padded armrest. Given their tendency to break, I figured that's what must have happened to this one, except that there is no support bracket inside the console...
  14. B

Alignment needed when Upper Control Arm replaced?

The bolts that retain the UCA are in slotted holes. These holes are slotted so a person can adjust the arms for alignment purposes. Unless the new arms were put back exactly in the same place, and that the new arms and old arms have identical dimensions, one has to assume that it must be aligned.
  15. B

Tranny symptom..odd

Cheap OBD II scanners will not pull tranny codes. I found that out the hard way. You have to pay extra for that "feature".
  16. B

EGR tube to Exhaust manifold Connection. Help!

I priced one at the dealer the other day for less than 10 bucks. If you need it that bad, why don't you just bite the bullet and get it there? I broke the tube off of that fitting on my '95 and finally had to get it at the dealer after scouring all the local junk yards.
  17. B

96 4.0 OHV oil dipstick removal....

Just give it a good tug after unbolting the one bracket by the EGR valve.
  18. B

A/C Removal for power boost?

Why bother? You wont save anything assuming your existing compressor never comes on. Have you ever spun the AC pulley by hand? If not, try it. Then ask yourself just how much power you'll be saving. Nothing!
  19. B

Code Readers

Be careful when you buy a scanner. The cheap ones will not read tranny codes.
  20. B

Odometer

It reads about 5% fast, so my mileage looks great.
  21. B

Odometer

The most recent post on speedometer error has me thinking about my '97. My speedo is dead on, but the odometer is about 5% off. Any thoughts on that? The dealer told me I needed to replace the whole gauge cluster, which I promptly blew off. Any way to program those things?
  22. B

replaced thermostat housing today!!

In very cold weather, there may be so little coolant flowing through the radiator that it's hard to tell. If the gauge shows normal temps, and the heater works good, I would not worry about it.
  23. B

Heater hose line junction

Heater core shutoff valve
  24. B

curious case of disappearing coolant

Most likely a head gasket leak. Exact same thing happened to my '97.
  25. B

How to: 2nd Gen Blend Door Quick Fix

I still think that if you guys really knew how easy it is to remove the heater box the "right way", you wouldn't be going through all the trouble of butchering the box to get at that blend door. I fixed mine the right way this past summer, and now it makes so much heat that I cant hold my hand...
Back