'01 Explorer XLT 4.0 Drivers window | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'01 Explorer XLT 4.0 Drivers window

trotherton79

Reaction score
City, State
Barbourville,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello guys and gals..I am a new member, first time poster but a long time reader. I, as well as others I am sure, greatly appreciate the informative and quite helpful posts from you folks.

I am having an issue with my drivers window and after a search, I was unable to come up with anything quite the same. However, if I missed a post of the same nature I do apologize in advance.

With that being said and out of the way, her is the issue:
My drivers side window will not go up or down. When depressing the button I do hear the relay under the dash clicking. The window buttons on the master switch control their appropriate windows. I have taken the master switch out and attempted to clean the contacts which was no help. After taking the M.S. out I must have dropped the window lock spring or something because only the M.S. operates the other windows (Passenger and rear switches on those doors wont work) so i assume they are stuck on lock...No Problem.

After ensuring the relay was functioning and cleaning the contacts, I figured it was the motor. I hooked a wire to the + & - terminals and to the motor and it works that way. I am not sure which fuses are for the windows, so I checked every fuse I could find and all seem to be fine. I do have another motor from the junk yard and hooked it to the switch w/ any results either.

What are your thoughts? Fractured wire some where along the line?

Figured the problem out on my own.... It was indeed a broken wire. For those of you who have the same issue, my problem lied with the red wire only. It was broken in the jamb located inside the rubber boot. My fix was to strip both ends of the fractured wire and add a piece of another to bridge the gap... Works like a champ....However I have a new issue concerning the drivers door handle/opening operation..... My old hand litterally broke while attempting to open it the other day. I broke at the hinge. I bought a new one from Advance Auto for roughly $30. I drilled out the rivets holding the handle, removed the window track that is held on by 1 bolt only. Undid the yellow clip. I extracted the old handle along w/ the attached rod. I reinstalled the new one in reverse of the way I took the original off..I used bolts to hold the handle to the door along w/ locking nuts.. Went in fabulously.... Now the same issue that caused my original handle to break is happening to my new one....With the old one, I would have to jerk it up fairly hard to open it...I'm having to do the same thing with the new one.... any suggestions? Also, Thank you Tony, I checkout 1A videos quite often!!!!

Back