02 Explorer 4x4. O/D Flash No code on new rebuild. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer 4x4. O/D Flash No code on new rebuild.

_nd

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hi I'm Chris.

I've got a 2002 Explorer 4x4 with a bad 5r55w. It had the failed servo bushing issue. It had a broken servo, and a broken band. So I pulled it out, and rebuilt it.

I replaced the case with one with brass bushings, installed new steelies, clutches , the upgraded shift kit and new solenoid pack.

When I get the beast back together, 2 months later and on a budget, the truck starts and drives fine. But It had a rattle. (Oh no!) It sounded as if it came from the Torque Converter.

Well I drove it that way for about a month. And now I've got transmission problems again.

Hard shifting, high revs before shifting... or not shifting at all. Shifting after slowing the revs to the tranny. I have a Actron CP9550 Scanner. It's a CAN scanner. But I get no Codes from the truck. No check engine Light. Just a flashing OD light every once in a while after a miss-shift or high rpm rev. The flashing O/D light go's away after every engine start.

As far as internally in the transmission, I'm 100% positive i put everything back the way it went in. I must have reassembled it 5 times to be absolutely certain. Now there are 2 things I'm not certain about.

When taking the tranny out, before i bought a transmission jack, the tranny did bounce a few times while only attached to the torque converter. Maybe I disloged something in there?

Also I'm not 100% certain I put the input shaft back in correctly. And I'm only concerned about that one because of some random tidbit I just read.

Now what gets me is the fact that this is almost how the truck drove when I got it and it had all of the broken internals.

Update..........
I took a look under the truck and found the most amazing thing. The tensioner bolt for the O/D band was backed out a bit. I musta not tightened it up enough... or at all.

I tightened it up, and all is well again. Though I still have the mysterious rattle.

Not the smartest thing ever done, is it? If you let the tranny hang on by the input shaft unsupported, I hate to think what kind of damage could have occurred. Broken flex plate maybe? Bent shafts? That's a ton of weight to hang on some fairly fragile components.

You won't get a code with the flashing OD light. Need to take it to a tranny shop and use a special code reader to get that. I'm betting it's a problem with the TC. Pull the tranny off and inspect everything best you can for damage. Flex plate is likely at least bent which would cause your rattle and destroy the TC. Get a good TC. I bought a Transtar with the upgraded Sonnex clutches. No problem whatsoever. At least disassemble up to the pump and make sure it's okay.

Back