• Register Today It's free!

Flashing O/D Off Light

rabbitman9

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
For 40K miles the O/D Off light flashes after the 02 Explorer goes approx. 3 miles down the road. No shifting problems on the tranny....everything sounds and performs ok. I read that a defective Coolant Temp Sensor could cause this so I replaced it.....no changes. No codes come up...although I heard there is another "trans computer checker" than can read the code that is causes the O/D light to flash. Truck has 190K on it and is going strong...trans has been flushed twice. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a similar problem. Mine seems to be intermittent, though. When I start up the truck, the O/D Off light flashes, and then it will go off after a bit, and then it seems whenever I use the brakes to slow down significantly or stop, it starts flashing again, and then later it will stop... though it doesn't always start flashing when I brake. So I think it's intermittent, to the best of my knowledge. When I'm on the highway, it seems to be fine and doesn't flash. When the light flashes though, the tranny won't shift into fourth gear (the O/D gear on my 4 spd auto). What could be causing this? The only thing I've messed with on my truck is I've been trying to remove my EGR valve (it's a 4.0L V6 1996 Explorer XLT w/ 4x4), so I've been spraying PB Blaster all over the nut on the EGR pipe that connects to the bottom of the valve, because it's rusted in place. And I removed the two bolts that hold the valve in place, as well as the vacuum line that attaches to the nipple on the top of the valve. Would anything like that cause this ridiculous problem? (I still haven't removed the valve, I put it back in, because I can't loosen the nut.)

Happened to mine 5 days ago o/d light off started flashing intermittently then yesterday I look in my rearview after smelling something burning to see a wall of smoke and then my explorer stops pulling. Now my explorer is sitting at work in the parking lot with no tranny fluid and it will not move. I haven't had it pulled to a garage yet to see exactly what happened but it seems I blew a seal of some sort.

I hooked up a code reader to it, and it only read what it's been reading, even before this happened, which is EGR Flow Insufficient, and EGR Flow Excessive. Those are still there, but that's it - nothing relating to the O/D Off light. And it's still there, intermittently. Not to mention, on a side note, that I'm trying to get my EGR valve off, but the nut at the bottom where the pipe goes into the valve is frozen on with rust, and won't budge; and on top of that, the vacuum hose that goes into the top of the EGR valve snapped today.

Back