• Register Today It's free!

'03 Quirks

boanderson

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT, '03 Eddie Bauer
I have an '03 Eddie Bauer that I bought new. About 6 months later it started these quirks:
Radio has no power for couple minutes after startup
Easy exit seat won't return to driving position
Car shudders and/or stalls when I stop after initial startup, such as stopping at a light or sign in a parking lot

I took it back to dealership and they found nothing, they couldn't get it it duplicate the quirks, so until it does it in front of them, I am out of luck.

I was wondering if anyone else has had/heard these problems, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also have a '91 XLT that I just had to drop a re-built engine in after 189,000 miles, my Hubby drives it now. :D :exp: :yelexp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had both problems. When I first got my '03 XLT, it would hesitate and try to stall when it was cold - acting just like it had a carb with a bad choke. My dealer noted that there was a technical advisory and reprogramed the engine control computer ( took about 20 minutes ). Totally different car! The reprogramming even changed the transmission shift points. The overall improvement was fantastic.

The second problem didn't start until I had an upgraded alarm/ remote start system installed. Now when I start it from inside the car, the radio display sometimes takes about 30 seconds to come on. THis includes the time display, even if the radio is turned off. No solution to this one yet. I'm sure it's part of the Ford alarm interlock system.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much, I will mention that to Ford.

Interesting to hear as I have the stalling problem just as you described. Mine is an '03 xlt with nbx package. only stalls after start up and driving short distance to stop sign. Will mention your fix to my dealer when I take it in for a transmission shimmy I can't figure out. That only happens on one stretch of road (2-3 mile section) and I can't duplicate it anywhere else regardless of pitch or altitude. Did the reprogramming affect your mileage? I currently get 17-20 MPH with my mods on the V8 so I really don't want to lose that.

So after talking with the dealer re: stalling and and the drivetrain issue they recommended 2 things. 1) run a couple of tanks of premium gas thru it instead of the 85 octane we have here in Colo. Result: no more stalling! They suggested only using fuel from the big name stations Conoco etc. and avoiding Sam's Club and Joe's gas etc.
2) Even though when the first inkling of this shudder/hesitation came I had the rear diff. fluid changed, the dealer recommended a BG system flush and replace fluids in diffs and transfer case. Result: No shimmy/shudder! $185.00
Long story short the X runs great now and I have upped my gas grade to 87 octane to see if that will keep it idling smooth.

syclone said:
I've had both problems. When I first got my '03 XLT, it would hesitate and try to stall when it was cold - acting just like it had a carb with a bad choke. My dealer noted that there was a technical advisory and reprogramed the engine control computer ( took about 20 minutes ). Totally different car! The reprogramming even changed the transmission shift points. The overall improvement was fantastic.

The second problem didn't start until I had an upgraded alarm/ remote start system installed. Now when I start it from inside the car, the radio display sometimes takes about 30 seconds to come on. THis includes the time display, even if the radio is turned off. No solution to this one yet. I'm sure it's part of the Ford alarm interlock system.

Good Luck!

Interesting, lots of new Fords are requiring a re-flashing of the computer system. I've heard of this being necessary on Explorers, '04 F-150's, and the '05 Mustangs already.

Back