1992 Ranger 3.0 Starting Issues

Currency

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4
Long story, some what shortened. lol

Recently I decided I wanted to purchase a truck, So I found a 1992 Ford Ranger 3.0 Vulcan 2WD for $600, It needed work. After waiting three days for the towing company to get it home I finally started tearing into it. The first weekend I found the Ignition Control Module was some what functioning, It pass 4 out of 5 times on the test. Replaced it and it ran fine, also purchased a used battery for $42.99, 1,200 CCA. Next weekend it wouldn't start again, brand new cap and rotor, it fired right up.

Two weeks later I decided I would take it for a drive, drove one mile to my dads, two miles to Dollar store, then McDonald's. It was shut off at two of the three locations. After leaving McDonald's it started cutting out really bad, giving it gas made it worse. Shut if off in the turn lane to attempt to restart it, cranked for days but wouldn't start.

Pushed off the road and towed home, and now after a new Distributor, plugs, and wire's, it still will not start.....

Summery.

Newer Used Battery, 1,200 CCA.
New Ignition Control Module.
New Cap and Rotor.
New Distributor.
New plugs and wire's.

Tested new Ignition Control Module, working fine.
Tested old Coil, Tested fine.
Checked for spark, "seem's fine".

It was running, missing badly, after plugs and wire's were changed but not 30 minutes later, wouldn't start. Thus I changed the Distributor. Back to square one.

Fuel pump replaced by previous owner, I have the receipt. Purchased from O'Reilly auto parts in September 2014. Also purchased was new filler hose and fuel filter.

Plug gap currently at .050, I know they are suppose to be between .042 and .046 but .005 difference won't cause it to not start up.

What else should be checked?
Fuel pump, my father and I couldn't locate the place to put the gauge on...
I heard Napa can check the ECM, otherwise it's a 30 minute drive.
Had check engine code for PIP circuit failure which lead me to replace the entire distributor. That was checked after it had to be towed back home a few weeks ago.

Sending it to the shop, may sell it once it's fixed depending on the cost to get it going. I've got other project's in line and buying for my time and money. Including the explorer which is not forgotten. I've had many offer's on the ranger so it may go to a better attentive owner.

Back