• Register Today It's free!

1999 3.0 Ranger no start

dano1999

Reaction score
City, State
Western New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Ranger XLT
Im a new guy ,so hello to all of you ! And hear is my problem. On the way home from work at 4:30 A.M. noticed check gauge light on , yup you guessed it, need fuel now! Made it to station on fumes. Put in half tank ,truck started fine .After 15 minutes started hesitating,and shutting down .It did eventually shut down .I towed it home and put it in a heated garage .The next day I put in additive to remove water and replaced the fuel filter. Checked fuel pressure ..about 60 psi off the rail . I bled some fuel off of my pressure gauge by cycling the pump with fuel going into a clear glass jar . The fuel looks OK . Did a KOEO self test , shows P 1116 CTS out of limits.There was a stored code P0176 , flex fuel circuit problem . I have had that code set on and off for 2 years but it never caused a drivability issue. Today I put in a new set of plugs seeing how the old ones looked gas fouled and old as dirt. The engine acts like it wants to go , more so if you bury the throttle pedal.The new plugs gas fouled immediately.I checked for spark, Have good spark.I thought for sure this was a water in fuel,or bad fuel issue. The night it quit it was about 15 degrees.Any ideas ? Thanks for your time and help !!!!!

Hello Crashman,
It is gas . I am bringing a compression tester home from work tonight.I remember when it first misfired,it shut down so abruptly you could hear a drivetrain backlash noise .It then came back to life at normal power .It felt like a primary ign. fault ,but no codes to support that theory. I have a sneeking suspicion it is timing related.The truck has 2 payments left,and thats when they act up! Thanks for the quick reply Crashman!!!

Back