Won't Start Replaced Plugs & Wires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won't Start Replaced Plugs & Wires

baff2004

Reaction score
City, State
Flagstaff, Az / Nogales, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
We were working on a friends '89 2.9L Ranger, and we replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap, and distributor rotor and we we went to crank the engine, it would turn over but wouldn't start. We made sure the gaps on the plugs were correct and the wire going back to the distributor were correct. Is it possible that the timing could be off since we replaced these parts? Is there anything else you can think of? The truck also used to have some trouble starting...but now won't start at all. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you double check that the spark plug wires were in the right order?

ho probably reinstalled the distributor 180* off... or forgot the coil wire

not trying to sound liek a smartass, jsut recalling times i have worked on my distrubutor equipped truck and had the same thing happen

still no start

No we checked all that out...everything was fine, it started for about 2-3 seconds after a few turnovers but struggled and stalled out...then we tried turning it over again and it sounded like it was struggling again. Sounds like it wants to turn on but won't. Any ideas?

Are you 100% sure you got the wires on the right spark plugs. Take #1 plug out feel for compression, make sure timing mark is up on the balancer at TDC. Is the rotor pointing towards #1 and is that wire going to #1 in the firing order, the next terminal that the rotor points to will be the #2 in the firing order. check rest. Did you take out dist.?

check for spark and fuel... I would first check the spark to each plug, since wires were replaced. If you have spark to all wire, check for fuel and fuel pressure.

Back